The unending fragmentation of streaming services

Troy Tomson
A Samsung smart TV displaying popular streaming services. Many new streaming services, like Disney+ and Peacock have sprung up in recent years.

Back in 2013, the biggest streaming services were Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Prime. Now, dozens of monthly subscriptions are required to get the same amount of shows, movies and content that these three used to provide. HBO Max, Disney+, Discovery+, Peacock, Paramount+, Apple TV+, Crunchyroll and countless others hoard and trade popular movies and TV shows. 

This has become a real problem as subscriptions as a whole have begun to eat up more Americans’ paycheck. Amazon prime used to be $6.59 a month with an Amazon yearly subscription, but now prime video alone is now $14.99, Hulu without ads spiked from $7.99 to $17.99 and Netflix went from $8 a month to $15.49 a month. In short, using the big three streaming services went from $22.59 to $48.49–an over 100% increase in only 10 years.

A few have also turned to contestably legitimate sites like Kodi and suspicious IPTV providers. More look to alternatives like Youtube TV and even traditional cable to get the full roster of popular shows like “The Office,” which moved to the then recently released platform Peacock near the end of 2020. Now, to watch this incredibly popular show, you would need a peacock subscription of $5 a month with ads. It seems as if the various streaming platforms will continue to hike prices and add lower priced “ad supported” plans until consumers have had enough.

On the topic of cable TV, Senior Grant Vannieuwenhuyzen said, “ With cable TV, you have options for live media. You have access to live news and live events, but with other streaming services you only get movies and TV. If I want to watch certain TV shows like Family Feud, I can only access them through cable”. Live sports, news, and events continue to be the center focus of cable, though Youtube TV has begun to expand their roster of sports events.

The value of a streaming service does make more sense when considering the cost of buying physical media like a DVD, or even a brand new $20 movie from Amazon Prime or Apple TV. 

Freshman Derek Onions noted, “I think that streaming services have become so mainstream that they’re pretty much the only way we watch movies at home anymore. I don’t even remember the last time I saw a DVD and thought I should buy it, because we already have it on some streaming service so it’s just a waste of money.” Despite rising prices, many like Derek prefer streaming for its comparatively low cost, large library and convenience.

However, more companies means more competition, and budget friendly options like Discovery+ and Peacock have plans starting at only $5 a month, allowing them to undercut the market. Junior Jaren McGruder argued, “Though it makes obscure companies in a sea of already obscure companies, it gives more opportunities to smaller companies as well as upcoming actors.”

Also allowing for a better divide of wealth amongst companies and toppling the corporate monopoly that streaming services such as Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon dominate.