Ethan Biermann hopes to strike his way into high school state bowling

Ethan Biermann
Ethan with fellow varsity bowling teammates as they prepare for competition.

This year looks bright for senior Ethan Biermann as bowling season starts on Oct. 24. Ethan is seeking to be a state prospect this year as his team hopes to progress through the rankings.

Ethan has been interested in bowling ever since he was young. His family has been heavily involved in the sport because of Ethan’s grandparents, who influenced him to start bowling at a young age. 

Ethan began to take the sport more seriously in 6th grade and made it his main hobby. Due to Biermann’s dedication and years of previous experience, he made varsity as a freshman.

Throughout high school, he progressed his skills to where he can now constantly score 200 out of the 300 possible points per game compared to his average of 160-170 when he first started the team.

Ethan will have a great influence on the performance of the varsity bowling team this year. He has constantly provided great value and support for his team every year since he has joined.

Ethan Biermann looking brightly to win state championship bowling this season.
(Roger Weng)

Ethan is fond of the community that surrounds the sport of bowling. Due to the relatively small number of bowlers in the Quad Cities, connection between individuals is much stronger. “Everyone does tournaments outside of school sanctioned games so we all know each other. We are still competing in a high school level sport so of course we are still competitive when playing, but in the end we are all still close friends,” Biermann stated.

In individual performance games, Ethan is a very reliable player. He has very constant game scores that increase the total score for the team.

In baker games where a team’s bowlers take turns in a shared game, Ethan provides a unique asset for the team because he is a lefty. Being a left-hander gives Ethan the natural tendency to aim at pins from the left while most of the other players aim from the right to center as right-handers. 

Mason Hunter is a senior varsity bowling member that has known Ethan for two years. “Ethan always has a good mentality with the team. He is very supportive and upbringing for his teammate and brings the energy up even during times when he was not playing the best himself. Ethan influences the team by always practicing intensely and getting us to have the mindset of play like how we practice so then we are able to get serious and not joke around when meets happen,” Hunter said.

The PV bowling team believes the skills they developed are enough to get to the state finals this year. They have always been just outside the state team qualifier and districts every year, but with the help of Ethan, hopes are high that the bowling team will be able to make their way into the championships.