How a MLB playoff feud reignited the debate of sportsmanship

Luke Allaman
Corey Seager celebrates after game tying home run in game one of the World Series on Oct 27, 2023.

Tensions flared in game five of the American League Baseball Championship after Adolis García was intentionally hit by a pitch for his home run celebration. The debate of who was in the wrong brings into question the future of the sport and sportsmanship itself.

Baseball is considered America’s pastime and is known for complexity. Baseball players and aficionados have grown up to learn there are rules which aren’t written in the books. Yet, these unwritten rules are often enforced by players at a higher level than the actual rules. 

Some unwritten rules are common-practice like not rubbing the spot where you get hit, not stealing bases when leading by a lot and not making the first or third out at third base. 

These unwritten rules can lead to drama, as there is often some exchanging of words if violated. These include mentioning a no-hitter while in progress, yelling when a fielder goes for a ball and walking over the pitcher’s mound. 

Finally, there are the cardinal sins of baseball, with a sentence of getting intentionally hit in your next at-bat. Such acts include excessive slides to take out a fielder, bunting during a no-hitter, and excessive celebration during a homerun. 

In game five, García was guilty of exactly this. He hit a towering home run and took his time to admire the hit before rounding the bases shouting to his team. The Astros responded by plunking him in his next at-bat, resulting in the benches clearing and both García and the pitcher, Bryan Abreu, being ejected. 

Senior Spencer Johnson felt the response was unnecessary in the context of the game. “Some pitchers have just become too soft for the modern style,” he said.

According to the unwritten rules, the Astro’s response was justifiable. But the game seems to be continually moving in another direction. College baseball is known for their antics of teasing opponents and playing with high energy and the MLB is taking notes. At least 16 of the 30 MLB teams now have home run props. The Milwaukee Brewers put on an iconic cheese head after a homerun, and the Baltimore Orioles are known for their bird bath celebration of spraying water. 

The MLB is caught in a nine-year decline of fan attendance and is looking for ways to appeal to a new generation. Senior Will Dekazel believes the new displays of emotion can help grow the game. “It’s awesome how the game is becoming more entertaining to watch,” he said.

Kids will continue to imitate their favorite players, so how the next generation will be shaped is up to the players to decide. The new style is redefining norms and setting a new precedent for the future of the game.

$580
$1000