The polarity of war films can create misleading feelings for viewers

Alex Blunk
Numerous famous war films on DVD which depict different stories.

Throughout cinema history there have always been films made about war–there is always another epic soldier’s story to be told, another battle scene to show or another political element to explore. 

War has always been a part of human history from early civilization to modern society. It is only human nature to be curious about what is happening in the world, and therefore war is a topic that people often dig into.

“I have always been interested in World War II and the different aspects that I can explore, it is such an impactful topic with so much information that I will never get bored while researching it,” said senior Noah Decker.

Whether it is a World War or a small conflict between countries, there is always a story to tell and something new to learn. Films are able to bring war to life. If done right, they are able to immerse audiences in battle.

When watching a film about war, viewers often experience conflicting feelings throughout the film. Directors are tasked with manipulating the feelings of viewers, whether it is by making their hearts race during a battle, a lump swell in their throat when a character dies or when a war is won and over. 

However, films often tend to glorify war, depicting the triumphs of heroes and hiding the despair of the defeated. “I like watching films about war because I have always liked to follow a character through their journey, I like to feel what they are feeling and see what they see,” said Decker.

On the other hand, these films can sometimes introduce the audience to the horrors of war. The death of soldiers and emotional distress put onto the shoulders of those involved.

A film that does an excellent job at portraying this form of cinema is All Quiet on the Western Front, which follows a German soldier through World War I. The horrors that he faces and the terrifying experiences that he must be a part of are exposed in the film.

“I find it hard to watch All Quiet on the Western Front due to the fact that throughout the film my stomach continues to drop. A once young, hopeful and aspiring young man joins the war to help his country, only to be met with the same atrocities that many faced during the war. It is truly a heartbreaking masterpiece,” said senior Owen Chiles.

Although conflict may be inevitable in the world, war can be detrimental to the countries and people involved in them. True horrors can be seen throughout war and when a film is made showcasing such horrors, it can leave a lasting impact on viewers.