Top five tips for studying

Johnny Ziegelbein
Eighth grader Sylvia Ziegelbein studies best when relaxing with her dog, Rosie.

With finals around the corner, it is a smart decision to begin preparing by studying and reviewing your class materials. Additionally, even when finals aren’t about to happen, it is always important to devote time to completing coursework and studying throughout each semester. Here are the top five tips for studying:

1. Isolate yourself from your phone

The current generation of teenagers has become increasingly more attached to their smartphones. Teens eat, sleep or even shower with their phones. These smartphones are a huge distraction, offering endless scrolling and dopamine stimulation from social media applications. Isolating yourself from your phone will allow you to better focus and be more efficient.

1. Use a planner

Using a planner is extremely beneficial for organizing your tasks. If you write down all of your assignments and goals, you will be able to make a better plan for getting them done. If you stay organized and keep track of everything you must accomplish, you will get more done and be more efficient.

1. Do your homework, even if it’s optional

Many students at PVHS don’t do their homework. Maybe it’s optional, or maybe they use their friend’s answers. Regardless, completing homework is super important for conceptualizing content. If you always complete your homework, you will be much more prepared when you test your knowledge and learn new content in class.

1. Find a quiet place

Finding a quiet place is very important for maximizing efficiency (unless you have an unusually long attention span). When getting work done, cutting out as many distractions as possible will always help you focus and put in quality work.

1. Take breaks and reward yourself

Taking breaks from studying and finding time to do things that you enjoy is crucial when studying. Although possible, it is very difficult to work efficiently for hours at a time without taking any breaks or time to decompress. If you devote time to relax, decompress, and spend time doing the things you love, you will be more efficient and productive when it comes to studying.