REVIEW: “Percy Jackson and The Olympians” is the show fans have been waiting for

After years in the making, the pilot episodes of “Percy Jackson and The Olympians” were released on Dec. 20 to widely positive fan reception. Photo credit to Disney Entertainment

Released on Dec. 20 on Disney+ and Hulu, the first two episodes of the new TV series, “Percy Jackson and The Olympians”, is a promising start to an adventure-filled story of Greek heroes and gods. The main premise of the first season follows that of “The Lightning Thief”. Percy Jackson, a demigod son of Poseidon, along with his Satyr protector Grover and friend Annabeth, daughter of Athena, must travel to the underworld to retrieve Zeus’ missing master bolt. 

Following the infamous 2010 movie “Percy Jackson & the Olympians: The Lightning Thief” and its 2013 sequel “Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters”, Percy Jackson fans have been eager for a faithful adaptation of the beloved book series. 

The movies are known for their myriad of inaccuracies compared to the books and lack of involvement with Rick Riordan, the author of the series. So, when news of a second adaptation reached fans in early 2020, they clamored for more information. 

Through the long development of “Percy Jackson and The Olympians”, Riordan has kept his readers updated. From website posts in April of 2020 to casting announcements and set updates, Riordan has been engaging his audience in every step of the process.

As a producer and writer of the show, Riordan was heavily involved this time around. He also had much more influence over the show’s casting. “Having him actively involved in the process has brought more attention to the project and will probably help it gain respect the movies did not earn,” shared Genre of Adaptation teacher Jess Scadden.

After the release of the pilot episodes, this sentiment rings true. The episodes, named after the first and sixth chapters of “The Lightning Thief”, respectively, stick to the spirit of the story.

Actors Walker Scobell and Aryan Simhadri play Percy Jackson and Grover Underwood, respectively. The first episode establishes their friendship and sets the foundation of the alternate New York they live in. The talented young actors bring humor and wonder to the show while also displaying depth of character. Simhadri especially embodies Grover’s optimistic yet anxious attitude.

Sally Jackson, Percy’s mother, played by Virginia Kull, exhibits strength and urgency. In the little screen time she has before her untimely death by the minotaur, Kull builds the motherly relationship between Sally and Percy necessary to justify Percy’s motive in his quest to the underworld.

In the second episode, Percy is formally introduced to Camp Half-Blood and some of the most important campers in the series. At the Hermes cabin, Luke Castellan, played by Charlie Bushnell, introduces Percy to the camp. An obvious big-brother relationship is created, and Luke’s role as a trusted friend and mentor is only heightened by Percy’s isolation from the other campers.

As the newest addition to Camp Half-Blood, Percy, of course, meets bully Clarisse LaRue, daughter of Ares. Dior Goodjohn captures the strength and confidence of Clarisse. Regardless of her losses to Percy in the famous bathroom scene and the first game of capture-the-flag, her prowess and distinct personality remain highlighted.

Aside from individual character triumphs, the visual effects and sets are stunning as well. The monsters, including the minotaur and the Fury Alecto disguised as Mrs. Dodds, are some of the first introductions to the world of the gods. At Camp Half-Blood, convincing mythical animals and vast landscapes draw the audience in and contrast with the previously stark cityscapes.

These details enhance the viewing experience and increase fan excitement. “As a fan of the books, the visuals really came to life in the show. I love the cabins and campgrounds and am excited to see the approach to other mythical elements like the underworld and Lotus Hotel,” shared junior Kiera Johnson.

With all screen adaptations, though, some of the original content must be cut. While the central elements of the Percy Jackson books remain, there are, undoubtedly, alterations that leave fans of the books questioning whether too much has been omitted. 

Although Gabe Ugliano, Sally’s boyfriend, has limited appearances in both the books and show, his abusive relationship with Sally is essential to understanding her character. Coined “Smelly Gabe”  by Percy, many fans were underwhelmed by Gabe’s behavior and lack of “smell”. In the books, Sally uses Gabe’s stench to cover up Percy’s demigod smell from monsters. Despite her enduring verbal and physical abuse to protect Percy, the show portrays Gabe as nothing more than a lazy, entitled man-child.

Central to the plot of the first Percy Jackson book is also the history of Annabeth Chase, daughter of Athena, played by Leah Jeffries. Rather than showing Annabeth as a fierce, intelligent hero, Luke simply tells these facts to Percy. Instead of including scenes of Annabeth and Luke interacting, Percy is once again only told about how close they are to each other. There is a general lack of dialogue and scenes for Annabeth, leaving viewers wondering how her relationship with Percy will develop.

In all, the first season of “Percy Jackson and The Olympians” will consist of eight episodes. The first two cover roughly the first 9 of 22 chapters in the book. This, unsurprisingly, means that the beginning of the show feels rushed to get to the quest of returning the master bolt. While the main action is essential and detailed, the characters and exposition should be equally as important. 

Given the quantity of content in a book, no adaptation can stick completely to its source material. Despite its shortcomings “Percy Jackson and The Olympians” is still a quality series. A new episode is released every Tuesday, and Percy will soon embark on his quest with Annabeth and Grover.

Percy Jackson is a story for all ages. “The core message of Percy Jackson has always been that difference is strength. …That neurodivergent kid who has failed out of six schools, for instance, may well be the son of Poseidon. Anyone can be a hero,” explained Riordan. The TV series embodies just that, finally giving fans a rewarding adaptation.