Top 5 ways to keep your new years resolutions

Cassi Paustian
Senior Ashwin Parab thinking about how he will complete his New Year’s resolutions for 2024.

As the New Year is in full swing, many people focused on creating resolutions that would “actually be attainable” this year. The hope of actually achieving the resolutions and implementing them in their daily life for the whole year are only attained by around 9%. In fact, researchers suggest that 23% of people quit their resolutions by the end of the first week, and 43% quit by the end of January. 

So, what are some solutions you can do to make it past the first month, and be a part of the 9%?

1. Keep a Resolution Journal

Journaling each day is easy to do and it keeps you on top of tracking their goals. This can take as little as 5 mins before bed. Journaling helps relieve stress, as well as allow you to write down your goals and how you attained them that day. Resolution journals can be used to plan out processes that will help you achieve their goals. Many are more motivated when they see it in writing, this journal can help with that. 

2. New Year, New Me

Commonly the New Year is associated with a “New Me”. But, in reality, completely changing your lifestyle is unrealistic. Instead of focusing on rewiring your life, focus on making small changes. Those unhealthy or undesired habits that you are trying to change probably took years to develop, so how can you expect to change them in just a matter of days, weeks, or months? Be patient with yourself. Changing small daily practices, one at a time,  to a healthier lifestyle is easier than completely integrating brand new ways to go through daily life. 

3. Put Time Into Planning

Rather than coming up with a goal as the clock strikes 12, think about a goal that is actually something you care about. Picking wisely and putting in extensive planning are essential parts of achieving any goal. Experts suggest that one is benefited by brainstorming how he/she will tackle a major behavior change, including the steps they will take, why they want to do it, and ways they can keep themselves on track. Detailed planning helps one see themselves achieving the goal. 

4. Focus on One Goal at a Time

Breaking down a big goal into smaller more achievable steps will allow your growth to seem more encouraging. Achieving even one small goal can boost your belief in yourself. The American Psychological Association (APA) also suggests focusing on just one behavior at a time is more likely to lead to long-term success. Success comes over time, not just over the course of one day.

5. Share your Goals with Others 

It’s great to make a resolution for yourself, but if no one else knows about it, it’s easy to forget about or even ignore. And when you don’t achieve it, no one will notice or care. On the flip side, telling friends and family helps motivate you and allows you to feel something when the goal is accomplished. Essentially, if you don’t follow through, you may feel you are going to let everyone down.