REVIEW: ‘Mean Girls’ remake brings in modern elements; fails to reach heights of original

Paramount Pictures
Mean Girls poster of new film

The new adaptation of Mean Girls was theatrically released on Jan. 12, generating mixed reviews. 

The original movie was released in 2004, followed up by a Broadway remake in 2018. Most recently, the musical was adapted for the screen. All versions follow the story of a previously home-schooled girl now having to face the realities of public school. From the very moment of her arrival, she is caught up in the drama and downfall of the three most popular girls in high school: The Plastics. 

The movie’s stars included Renee Rapp as Regina George, Avantika Vandanapu as Karen Smith, Bebe Wood as Gretchen Wieners and Angourie Rice as Cady Heron. Audiences rated it a 2.2 out of 5 on average, and it received a 70% on Rotten Tomatoes. 

Most mixed reviews come from the modernization that director Arturo Perez Jr. and Samantha Jayne decided to include. Technology is seen much more in the new film and with great purpose. Cady Heron uses the power of social media to fuel Regina’s downfall. 

This technological shift in turn takes away from the magnitude of the Burn Book. In the film, the Burn Book seems quaint compared to the secrets and lies being told through social media. The cruel ways of social media are exemplified in this movie by including polls of who’s hotter – Regina or Cady – and publicly discussing Regina’s weight gain. 

The additional elements of social media certainly added realism, but not everyone felt this was an asset.  “Though the new movie is more realistic in today’s society, it doesn’t compare to the storyline of the original Mean Girls movie,” says senior Ellie Samec, who loves the iconic movie.

The story of Janis, played by Auli’i Cravalho, was completely altered. The entirety of the original plot relied on Regina mistaking Janis for a lesbian rather than Lebanese.  This confusion led to Janis being bullied and sparked her plan for revenge. In the new film she is a lesbian, which renders the whole plot of the movie ineffective. 

Rapp’s performance as Regina was showstopping. She has a presence in pop music and is no stranger to the stage, with years of Broadway and television experience. Her experience shone through, earning her praise for the role. 

Vandanapuas is only 19 years old, but filled big shoes playing Karen Smith, a role originated by Amanda Seyfried. Her passion for dancing and singing was displayed prominently in the film. Vandanpuas fulfilled her childhood dream of working with choreographer Kyle Hanagmi. Her song and dance number ‘Sexy’ was a fan favorite. But not all of the movie’s stars received such acclaim.

Theater kids around the world were disappointed in Cady Heron’s casting. Viewers complained about the tone and quality of her signing, comparing her emotions to those in the Broadway production. Rice was cast as the main character but was out-shined by her cast-mates. Social media platforms, like Tiktok, have been filled with angry fans. Senior Hannah McVey shares her experience seeing the bold reviews on Tiktok, “I’ve never been a huge fan of Mean Girls but still wanted to see the new movie but was discouraged into not going after seeing the awful reviews on social media”. 

Mean Girls fan Senior Leah Peakin who loves the original and Broadway play felt that the iconic moments of the original were lost in the remake, “There were many key quotes they left out that made it less enjoyable, for example ‘If you’re from Africa why are you white,’” she continued, “I don’t think it deserves all the hate it’s getting but it doesn’t compare to the original.” 

Thought to be a let-down compared to the previous movie and show, most of the changes created an accurate modern day Mean Girls. The film is an elaborate mix of musical and movie leading to an enjoyable experience for viewers. Even though the casting disappointed some fans and some major lines were missed, the new movie is worth a watch to relive the nostalgic feeling of Mean Girls.