Evolution of the Running Shoe: A step-by-step journey through time

Ameya Menon
Junior Victoria Rice wears Brooks Ghost 14 running shoes

Nike. On Cloud. Asics. From old time classics to newly discovered brands, running shoes have always been a closet staple, especially amongst the running community. But the perfect shoe looks different for everyone. 

Technological advancements and the effects of fashion embedded throughout the development of footwear over the past centuries help bring crucial elements of modern shoes to light.

In the late 1800s, J.W Foster and Sons, now known as Reebok, released leather spikes to be used by athletes for comfort and speed. They gained fame through 1924 Olympic 100-meter champion Harold Abrahams as he slid to the finish line in these high tech attachments. Although a lot less common, this design has been incorporated into many familiar running shoes today.

During 1917, more efficient methods used to combine rubber and cloth inspired the first rubber sole shoes. Amazed by the idea of quiet shoes, athletes popularized these styles after World War 1.

The increase in marathon runners during the 1970s and 1980s inspired companies to create shoes designed for comfort. Tiger created the first shoes with cushioning and Brooks came up with a design to reduce pronation-caused injuries. By incorporating a wedge into their design, Brooks’ shoes helped adjust the angle of the foot and reduce impact.

Through top college athletes, brands began to notice the importance of the “barefoot feeling.” Runners preferred training barefoot to familiarize themselves with the connection between their feet and the ground, and companies began to cater to these needs through shoes like Vibram’s FiveFingers.

Over the last decade, new technologies such as microengineered yarn fabric and thermoplastic soles have taken over the footwear industry in order to ensure maximum comfort and efficiency for runners. The Nike Vaporfly Elites provide proof that brands are still finding new ways to help runners move faster.

Wesley Ward, a law student at University of Michigan, enjoys running in his free time. “I wear the Asics Gel-Cumulus 24 during my day-to-day training and the Adidas Adios Pro 2 for hard workouts and races. My shoe, the Adios Pro 2, was Adidas’ first successful attempt at a carbon fiber-plated shoe,” he said. “I liked that it is designed for longer races but that it also felt like the shoe was propelling me forward when I ran.”

Many high school students are involved in sports with the most popular extracurricular being track and field. As involvement in physical activity increases, many students find themselves trying to decide what the most worthwhile footwear investment would be.

Junior Victoria Rice plays tennis both privately and on the school team. “My running shoes are Brooks and the main thing I was looking for when I got them was being comfortable when I run. I think the most important components of a running shoe are how aerodynamic they are, how comfortable they are, and how long they will last before they wear out,” she said.

Over the years, the development of running shoes has shaped the way athletes run and has created a much more enjoyable experience out of the sport. Attire looks different for every person and shoes are no exception. From comfort to efficiency, a wider variety of running shoe options helps athletes find the perfect shoe for them.