Fun in the sun

As warm weather has been rolling into the Quad Cities, many families and teenagers start to look for fun activities they can do outside. Throughout the area, there are many fun things that all ages can enjoy.

While the farmers market is beginning their season, many people are getting very excited.  Maureen Dyer, english department teacher at Pleasant Valley, said, “My family likes to go to the farmers market because it’s a laid back outdoors family activity. While enjoying the outdoors, we can support our local farmers. There is always a great variety of vendors to choose from. You can find great organic produce along with fun handmade crafts. The farmers market is a great way to spend the morning with the family in a way that all ages can enjoy.”  The market is open weekly on Saturdays from 8am-1pm, Sundays from 10am-2pm, and Tuesdays from 3pm-6pm.

The next big spot is going to the Maquoketa Caves State Park in Jackson County Iowa. The caves are open to the public every day of the week from 4:30am-10pm, and admission is free.  Throughout the park, there are fun trails to hike on, caves to walk through, and crawling holes within the walking caves. Payton Krueger, junior, said, “I went last weekend, and I love going because it never gets old.  Also, it lets me embrace my inner animal and feel in touch with nature.”

Those that enjoy sitting patiently by the water while having fun with friends and family would enjoy fishing. There are many places throughout the Quad Cities that one can go to in order to enjoy an afternoon of fishing.  Ben Piotter, junior, loves to go fishing with his friends and family in his free time.  Piotter said, “It’s the ultimate summer activity full of relaxation and fun. My favorite place to fish is Lost Grove. It’s as if you are shooting fish in a barrel. That is honestly the best spot.”

The first River Bandits baseball game of the season was on April 6, 2017. Throughout their season, they have many home games that all ages can enjoy. These games are outside in the nice weather, plus there is a ferris wheel and kids zone to keep the kids entertained while at the game. Each game generally has a theme such as; family night, halfway to Halloween night, and Irish heritage night. Along with themes, they often have free giveaways during the game. Joey Betzel, junior, said, “Going to a River Bandits games is really fun, and Modern Woodmen Park has a great atmosphere. It’s also pretty cool to see some of the players there make it in the big leagues later.”

With spring here and summer right around the corner, make sure everyone has fun in the sun with a fun activity.