Pleasant Valley is growing

As students were arriving back from their spring break trips, construction sites also arrived on Pleasant Valley High School grounds. The construction for the new additions started onto the high school on March 20, 2017, and the estimated date of completion is August of 2018.The construction has shut down one of Pleasant Valley’s main parking lots, and some additional staff parking, but otherwise hasn’t caused many interruptions for Pleasant Valley students and faculty.

The construction has come across a few problems recently. First there was supposed to be a brand new gas line built, going around the senior parking lot and new STEM section of the building. However, the city informed the school that there was already a major gas line right next to the high school, so plans were redrawn and the new gas line was no longer necessary. Along with the many weeks of rain in May, these new plans and weather have set back the construction project by almost three weeks. Mike Zimmer, principal of Pleasant Valley High School, said, “Using the gas line that was already there is saving the project money, it was a setback we were willing to take.”

Another renovation future Pleasant Valley students have to look forward to is an additional parking lot which will add 278 parking spaces, extending off of the newest parking lot which was added just last year. Sophomore, Gibson Yost, said, “I am really excited about more parking spots becoming available. When the construction started, sophomores couldn’t have parking passes anymore which was really inconvenient.” Other students feel otherwise about the construction. Seth Moffit, senior, said, “I’m not excited about the renovations because I am graduating. Shutting down the main parking lot has been extremely inconvenient for me, and it’s always a struggle to find somewhere to park in the mornings.”