Must-see summer movies

With summer comes a lot of the big Hollywood movies that have been in production over the past year. Michael Meyer, senior, said, “I watch a lot of movies, and I’m excited for this summer. There are going to be too many good ones to see them all.” Here is a list of some of the most anticipated movies of the summer:

For superhero fans, both Marvel and D.C., there are a lot of movies coming out this summer. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 came out May 5. The previous cast is returning, and a few new characters, like Kurt Russell playing Ego, are going to be in it. Wonder Woman is also coming out on June 2. This movie will add to the D.C. Universe set up for Justice league, which is set to release on November 17. Spiderman is having another reboot after the new hero was shown off in Captain America Civil War. Spiderman Homecoming will be released on July 7. Jordyn Haessler, senior, said, “I’m a big fan of the superhero movies, and I can’t wait to see them. I just saw Guardians of the Galaxy, and I thought it was better than the first one.”

There are also many new horror movies coming out. The first is Alien: Covenant, which comes out on May 19. This is part of a series of prequels for Ridley Scott’s Alien movies. There is also another Amityville movie hitting the big screens, with Amityville The Awakening being released on July 14. This is part of a long line of movies about the Amityville haunting. A few of Stephen King’s books are also coming to theatres, with The Dark Tower coming out August 4. The movie will star Matthew McConaughey and Idris Elba. Stephen kings IT is being remade and will premier on September 8. Another prequel to the conjuring featuring the creepy doll is coming on August 11: Annabelle Creation.

There are a fair number of action movies coming out as well. Johnny Depp will star in Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales, which will be released on May 26. This will be the first movie from the series released in six years. War for the Planet of the Apes comes out on July 14, and it may be the conclusion to the reboot series. Christopher Nolan’s latest project, Dunkirk, will appear on July 21. It will be a WWII movie focused on the survival of a group of soldiers. The sequel to Kingsman will be shown this summer with Kingsman: The Golden Circle coming out on Sept. 22.

For kids and fans of the series, Despicable Me 3 will come out on June 30, once again featuring the minions, Gru, and the rest of the cast. Cars 3 will also make a reappearance, with the last Cars movie being made in 2011. Those who were a fan of the Captain Underpants books will be excited to hear this weird superhero will have his first movie, which will premier on March 10.