This is SpARTa! : Q&A with Samuel Mowbray

Samuel Mowbray, sophomore, has three other siblings. Mowbray and all of his siblings are very talented artists. Mowbray can be seen in the art room during periods 7 and 8 as he tries to perfect his craft. His sister is a freshman at the University of Missouri.  

What classes have you taken at PV?

Right now I am taking Ceramics, taught by artist Devin Hanson. I also took Art 1 as a freshman. It is hard for me to take a lot of art classes since my schedule is really full, but I hope to take more art classes as I become an upperclassmen.

What is your favorite type of art?

I really like ceramics right now. I like the freedom of being able to create anything you want out of clay. My second favorite type of art is finger painting.

How do you feel about Hanson leaving?

Mr. Hanson has had a huge impact on my art career here at Pleasant Valley High School. He has really taught me a lot, and everything I know about ceramics is because of him. He is the best person at ceramics I know, and I wish him the best in his future career as a ceramic artist in Chicago.

Does your work follow a specific theme?

It usually doesn’t follow anything too specific. The only theme that I have is I try to make my art work very big.

What is the favorite thing you have created?

Earlier this semester I created a very cool soccer field out of clay. It was cool because we were able to paint the field instead of glaze it. I made the field really well and paid attention to every little detail in that project.