Senior Guide to Graduation

As the countdown until summer continues, the checklist for seniors seems to be growing longer and longer. Seniors at Pleasant Valley High School have a lot to get done before the school year ends and they cross that stage to receive that beloved piece of paper.

Finals for seniors will begin next Monday, May 22. Students will follow their normal class schedule and begin their final exams on Monday, while finishing the remainder on Tuesday. Wednesday is provided as a Senior exam make up day and checkout sheet signing day.

In order to be completely finished with the school year, students must turn in their mandatory checkout form. This form can be completed once seniors have turned in all assignments and have taken the final exam for each class. In addition to the signatures from each teacher, students must have their service learning hours completed and their checkout sheet signed by Emily Jepsen. When the student has gotten a signature from each teacher, the forms must be given to the main office.

Those of whom are moving onto college next year, have some extra items on their checklist. If students have not yet sent in final transcripts to their school, they must request to have that done in the Guidance office. In addition to that, any senior who received a scholarship from the Pleasant Valley school district must send that money to their school in order to receive it.

The practice graduation ceremony will take place in the high school ABC gym at 9:30 am on Thursday, May 25. Principal MIke Zimmer said, “At this time, we will share expectations with our graduates.  It is our belief that graduation is a combination of ceremony and celebration. We wish to keep the graduation ceremony a dignified one which students, parents, and the community can be proud to attend. Our goal is to ensure that all graduating students receive the acknowledgment and respect that should be afforded during this ceremony without unneeded distractions.”

Following the practice graduation, there will be a senior picnic at 11:00 am on Thursday at Veterans Memorial Park in Bettendorf. Tickets are $5 and must be purchased in the main office by Friday, May 19.

And finally, graduation day arrives. On Sunday, May 28 students must meet in the high school cafeteria by 2:00 pm, buses will leave at 2:15 pm. All students are required to ride the bus over to the IWireless Center, but are encouraged to return home with their families.

Congratulations to the class of 2017. You’re almost done!