This is spARTa! Q&A with Elizabeth Matera

Elizabeth Matera, gifted clarinet player and alumni of the President’s Own U.S. Marine Band, has recently joined the band staff here at Pleasant Valley High School. Matera’s drive for improvement has molded her into the talented musician she is today. Although her strong work ethic is portrayed through her musicianship, enjoying the music is just as important to Matera, as well as gaining inspiration from other musicians.

What is your main instrument? Clarinet.

Do you play other instruments in addition to your main instrument? I play some piano and learned all wind instruments for my music education degree.

How long have you been playing clarinet for? Since age 9- 42 years!

What job(s) have you had regarding music? I just retired from “President’s Own” U.S. Marine Band in Washington DC-(1990-2017). I also performed in symphony orchestras around DC and chamber music ensembles.

What experience do you have with teaching music? I spent one year teaching band at Maquoketa Community School. I have been a private clarinet instructor since 1987, [teaching] all levels from beginners through college and adult students.

What is your favorite part about playing? My favorite part about playing is probably the collaboration with other musicians, particularly in chamber music where all performers listen attentively to each other and combine their talents to create something special.

What has been your best music experience? I have been very fortunate to have had many wonderful experiences throughout my career. The best all involve sharing music with others and affecting the listener in some way.

Do you have specific practice habits? Ideally, I do 15-20 minutes of long tones, followed by scales, arpeggios, and broken chords for a total warmup of 45-60 minutes. Then, I practice anywhere from 2-4 hours on upcoming works.

Who has inspired you? My dad was first inspiration as a clarinetist. I loved to hear him play parts of the Mozart Clarinet Concerto in our basement.

Do you have words of advice to other musicians? Work hard, but always enjoy the music!