Meet the Drum Majors

Becoming a drum major isn’t an easy task. Drum major is a very high status to hold because the people chosen for this position not only need to be musically talented, but need to have the leadership skills to conduct the largest marching band in the state. In order to become a drum major you must be ready for a lot of preparation. You have to practice conducting many types of music while showing leadership and confidence in front of a large group. Each year about 20 people audition for a drum major position. Claire Thomsen, a three year section leader for flutes, auditioned once for drum major and said, “The preparation for the audition was long and stressful, but it was still fun to audition in front of the band and show [Ms.] Daurer what else I could do!” Even though many people have different experiences with their audition, most say it’s a great opportunity.

After you get past the auditions, the band votes on who they believe best conducted the band; the band directors take these votes into consideration and choose five people. These five then begin their duties as drum major. During the summer they go to drum major camp, then come back and conduct at PVHS’s annual band camp. After that their main duties are to conduct during halftime shows at football games and help everyone in the band learn the marching drills. 

The drum majors are very dedicated and love doing what they do. According to Bailey Connors, two year drum major, “Nothing has really changed; the others are so good at their jobs I find myself asking them for advice. There are some occasions where they need me to answer a question about something they didn’t know about like the Pregame Traditions, but other than that it’s pretty much the same as last year.” After marching band season the drum majors audition to get placed into a concert band with all the other band members, but will still help conduct pep band. All the drum majors are very involved, not only in band, but in other school activities. Let’s meet them!

Keshav Wagle is a first-year drum major, and is one of the four seniors who holds this position. He started playing piano when he was just six years-old. Developing his love for music at an early age led him to start playing the oboe in 7th grade. He is currently a two year all-stater for oboe, making all-state orchestra last year, an even higher honor than all-state band. He is first chair for the oboe section in the school’s highest band. Outside of band, he is involved in drama and is a two-year board member for PVHS’s theatre troupe. He also is the co-editor in chief of the Spartan Shield website.

Hannah Allen is also a senior going into her first year as drum major. Like Wagle, she began playing piano at six years old. She has won many awards, including winning state in 8th grade. In 6th grade, she decided to join band and play trumpet, and has stuck with it through middle school and high school. When not in band, she is the defense specialist on the varsity volleyball team. 

Ashlyn Haack is the third first-year senior drum major. She has played the flute in band since 6th grade. Besides flute she has played piano for 10 years and has also been very involved in choir since 7th grade. She is currently placed in the school’s highest choir, and has been involved in jazz choir for three years. She has also received Division 1 ratings at State Solo and Ensemble for choir multiple years in a row. Besides music, she is a sprinter for the track team and is a member of the Model UN club.

Bailey Connors is the longest standing drum major, this being his second and final year conducting the band. Connors has played the bass clarinet for about five years, but he also plays many other instruments such as piano, clarinet, and the sousaphone. He is also very involved in the high school’s choir. He has been in the Iowa all-state chorus for three years and is auditioning again this year in hopes to become the first four year choir all-stater at PVHS. He enjoys musical theatre and landed the lead role of Sweeney Todd in last year’s musical.

Cienna Pangan is the only sophomore drum-major, which is very uncommon since underclassmen are rarely chosen for such a high honor. Pangan has played the trumpet since sixth grade, but has also played piano for about six years. Outside of band she is involved in multiple sports and clubs. She has participated in cross country and track for the past 3 years, and is also a member of student council, a member of Model UN, and is involved in GLI.

All the drum majors work hard and dedicate a lot of their time to make sure they’re the best they can be. The people at Spartan Shield congratulate them for their dedication and wish them good luck for the remaining school year!