Allstate auditions await

All-state auditions are around the corner, a stressful but awarding time for high school musicians. October 21st, the day of All-state auditions, consists of the finest high school musicians in Iowa fighting for a spot to be selected into the Iowa All-state Music Festival. The audition process is regional; Iowa is divided up into six regions. The number of musicians accepted yearly can fluctuate, based on how many musicians audition.

Allstate gives the option of trying out for the band, choir or orchestra. When auditioning for the choir, it is required to sing in a duet, trio, or quartet, acappella style. As for the band, it is required to be able to play major scales and a chromatic scale, two etudes, and a solo of choice. The orchestra consists of playing major scales and practicing six etudes. Although the audition process for each section is different, every section is competitive.

There are more kids who are not accepted than there are kids who are accepted, creating a competitive atmosphere. As the years go on, expectations are higher and the bar is raised. Although claiming a spot is quite difficult, it’s possible when maintains a good work ethic and practices in an efficient manner.

As the judge of each section comes down to the wire of selecting the musicians for the All-state Festival, alternates are selected in addition to those accepted. This means that the musician is at the same level of those accepted, but there are not enough slots available to accept the student. If an accepted member is unable to attend the Iowa All-state Music Festival, then the top alternate will fill the spot. Shreya Khurjekar, a junior, claimed the alternate spot for clarinet last year, and hopes to accomplish even higher goals.

“Although I was glad to be selected as an alternate as a sophomore, I was so close to getting accepted, so it was frustrating to be so close to a goal and not reaching it. Receiving alternate has done nothing but encourage me to work harder, so I hope the hard work pays off this year.” This is the attitude those auditioning need to result in success.

Auditioning for All-state for the first time can be overwhelming for many. Avery Luepker, a senior and member of the chamber choir, is auditioning as a tenor voice part for Allstate.

“All-state is a huge time commitment; coming in mornings, after school, weekends, working on the music during all of your free time. You get as much as you give, all the hard work you put in makes you a better musician, and it is so fun to get to work on such challenging music and trying to make it your own.”

Despite the number of years of auditioning or having the best private lesson teacher, the results all come down to those who practice efficiently and have a strong work ethic. PV has sent a lot of musicians to All-state in the past, and hopefully the intense practicing and hours of preparation will pay off this year!