Spartify: What’s on your playlist? Anthony Pena

This week’s spotlight is on senior, Anthony Pena, talented member of PV athletics. Pena runs on the boys varsity cross country team and is currently team captain. In the spring, Pena also races for boys varsity track and field. Music is strongly intertwined with Pena’s athletic career, before his races he listens to his music to streamline his focus and get in “racing mode”.

While listening or finding music, Pena prefers a blend of pop and electronic. He enjoys this blended genre because it is peaceful and easy on the ears. “Electronic music is just really calming and allows me to kickback and relax”, says Pena. Contrasting from his preferred genre, Pena’s all-time favorite artist is Elvis Presley. This rock-roll superstar’s music stands out to Pena because he’s been listening to his songs since he was a child. Although at the moment, Post Malone is Pena’s favorite artist because of the motivation Malone incites in him.

Malone has been motivated to succeed since the beginning of his career, his unique voice and tempo of his music diversified him from other rap artists of this generation. These qualities gave him the quick success he yearned for after he released his first single, “White Iverson”, and he has continued to be a icon for the blended rap/hip-hop genre. “I guess as an artist, it’s never really enough. You always wanna strive to get bigger and better and push the limits of what you can actually do. I guess I just want to keep on growing and one day be the biggest artist in the world, and just do my best to put out the best music that I can”, Malone told Billboard. Pena is inspired by the confidence Malone possesses and relates to him as an artist through his music. “His music is motivating for me to go after any goals that I might set for myself throughout life. Reminding me that there will be people along the way that will say that I can’t do something and his music really makes me keep on going no matter what”, says Pena.

Currently, Pena’s favorite song is “I Like Me Better” by Lauv. This song is an upbeat track with a tranquil beat, Pena prefers this song because he finds it relatable to a wide range of listeners. Pena believes, “The primary line ‘I like me better, when I’m with you’ makes me feel like without certain people in life it’s hard. Having those people in your life makes it more enjoyable and worthwhile”. Pena’s prefers “Stoney” the album by Post Malone over a go-to playlist.  He listens to this album before every race; “When the gun goes off I’m only thinking about my race and my goal.” Pena finds motivation through the music he listens to, this found confidence pushes him to thrive as a talented athlete.