Huck It: Ultimate Frisbee

What began as a couple of guys tossing around a frisbee soon became a thriving club, now growing by the week. Pleasant Valley alum Evan Decker founded the Ultimate Frisbee Club his senior year in order to bring people together to enjoy the beautiful game and create a welcoming environment.

“Frisbee attracts all sorts of people, from cross country kids, to football kids to band kids,” says current co-captain Collin Smith. There are approximately 15 people who show up regularly, totaling 20-30 people each time the club meets.

You don’t have to be a frisbee expert, or have any experience at all, to join the club. Ultimate Frisbee is a game anyone can play. The rules are simple: two teams compete to score points by catching the frisbee in the opposing team’s end-zone. The frisbee can only be moved by passing between teammates (no running with the frisbee in hand), and once it’s caught by a member of the opposing team and/or touches the ground, it is then turned over to the other team.

Decker, now a freshman at Bradley University, plays on a competitive club team at his school. Opportunities to play in college range from intermural teams for those who prefer casual games when they have the time, to intramural teams such as Decker’s that compete and travel for tournaments.

Whether you’re looking for a chance to show off your skills, or just have fun on a Friday afternoon, Ultimate Frisbee Club is the place for you.

The club meets every Friday on the football field during eighth period, and even occasionally on weekends. Contact one of the captains, Collin Smith or Seth Hamby, for more information.