Spartify: What’s on your playlist? Ellie Spelhaug

This week’s spotlight is on senior Ellie Spelhaug, a talented athlete and student at Pleasant Valley High School. Spelhaug is a forward on the girls varsity basketball team, a sprinter on the varsity track team, as well as a member of the state champion softball team. She listens to her music while working out and studying for school.

Country is Spelhaug’s favorite genre to listen to in her free time, having been her preferred taste since she was young. “I’ve only ever been to country concerts so it’s always been something I enjoy,” said Spelhaug. The experience of going to concerts builds her connection with the artists and their music. Through live performances, Spelhaug bonds with country music. It was at a concert that she discovered her favorite artist, Brett Eldredge, through the talent he portrays in person; Eldredge is known specifically for his charismatic and engaging shows.

Eldredge’s music is classified as modern country: a country base with hints of soul and pop influences. These elements of his music are inspired by Frank Sinatra and Ray Charles, artists he listened to before his fascination with country music began. Eldredge achieved his first national song coverage in 2012 with his single “Don’t Ya” and released an album soon after that. This break gave him the opportunity to tour with artists such as Taylor Swift, Darius Rucker and Luke Bryan. When comparing small venues to large ones, he told Cleaveland, “Trying to connect with that person up at the top is just as important as connecting with that person up front. I think playing those clubs and venues really gives you that feeling of what you need to do – because you connect with every person in there, usually, if you’re having fun. You use that same feeling to connect with those people in those giant venues as well. And you can do it. It’s a different situation but I love them both.” Spelhaug comments, “He is amazing in concert and I loved his newest album, ‘Brett Eldredge.’” Spelhaug also pointed out that Eldredge has a very cute dog, in addition to his musical talents.

Spelhaug’s current favorite song is “The Long Way” by Eldredge. Spelhaug enjoys listening to this love song and plays it frequently. When she’s not listening to country, she listens to a playlist made by her friend Reece, which features a mix of rap and rock music. Spelhaug listens to this playlist when she’s working out at the gym or finishing homework. Her music has motivated her in sports and studies, providing a healthy distraction from her busy lifestyle.