What’s in the golden circle? Kingsman: the Golden Circle review

Kingsman: the Golden Circle is the sequel of Kingsman: the Secret Service, a British film about a secret intelligence agency under the cover of a tailor shop, Kingsman. Though the first movie looked rather like another Bond or Mission Impossible movie, the second film in the Kingsman franchise easily stands out from others. Senior Sydney Einck, who has seen the movie, really enjoyed it, “I thought they did really well with it considering most sequels don’t get good reviews.”

The Golden Circle tells the story of Eggsy, a Kingsman agent, saving the world once again from a villain named Poppy, who is the head of the world’s largest drug chain called the Golden Circle. With their HQ destroyed by Poppy, the Kingsman must team up with a similar spy organization known as Statesman located in Kentucky and bring the Golden Circle to its knees.  

Much like the first movie, one thing the Golden Circle perfects is cinematography. The iconic bar fight returns once again and the action sequences are greater than ever. The action scenes in Kingsman are memorable and stands out from the others because of the use of long shots as well as other filming techniques that makes the viewers feels like they themselves are the agents who is saving the world. The film also achieves a delicate balance between chaos and order in its scenes. The viewers might feel disoriented at times but still be able to get enough information to know what is going on in those scenes.

“It’s underestimated how important music or lack there of in a scene. Some of the most iconic scenes in films also have most iconic songs,” states Aaron Field, who is studying film in Los Angeles. In Kingsman, the directors have used many iconic music pieces such as Take Me Home, Country Roads by Matt Margeson and Saturday Night’s Alright for Fighting by Elton John. Those scores paired with the phenomenal camera work make some scenes in Kingsman extremely memorable.

Kingsman: the Golden Circle breaks the shell of today’s mundane spy film expectations. It has done a great job to keep the viewers entertained whether they enjoyed the intense action sequences, looked for a fresh approach to a rather serious genre or simply wanted to see Elton John swearing like a mad man.