Guide to running

Madusanka Dahanayaka via Pixabay

Running is quickly growing into the most participated sport in America. Between 1990 and 2014, the sport has grown from 5 million runners to 19 million runners. With the rise of the sport, more people are facing injuries. Running is very taxing on the body. With incorrect form, running can leave you with serious injuries overtime and leave you in lots of pain.

The biggest flaw in people’s form is their stride. Running shoes today make heel striking very easy. This leads to many problems since all the force is exerted on knees and the hips when you strike the ground. The correct motion is either a midfoot or forefoot strike. This prevents injury because the forces are not directly exerted on the joints. It’s more efficient and improves running performance.      

Another important aspect of running are what shoes you wear. The goal of trainers is not to be as lightweight as possible. Shoes such as the Nike Free RN aren’t ideal for running because they don’t offer much support. The shoes have a sole and hold your feet down; this isn’t sufficient if you’re planning to run multiple times a week for long distances.

Trainers need to properly support your heel and instep. They shouldn’t be too tight or too loose. Your feet should be held securely when you tie your shoelaces. Another key aspect of running shoes is arch support. This is difficult to gauge yourself and it’s why buying running shoes online is difficult. Not all shoes are made the same and shoes have often have more than just the size.

Going to a store like Running Wild or Fleet Feet to buy running shoes is a better experience than shopping online for shoes. The people working are mostly runners themselves and will guide you through choosing the correct shoe. Both stores have wider varieties of shoes from the major brands like Nike, Adidas, Asics, and Brooks. By shopping there you not only find the right running shoe, you’re also supporting a local business. Pleasant Valley students and teachers also get a twenty percent discount when shopping at the stores.

Running is a great activity but if not done correctly it can lead to many injuries. With proper form and proper equipment, one can greatly enjoy the sport.

$580
$1000