PV Math Team: Where it’s cool to B²

Chuk Yong via Pixabay

Do you enjoy computing math problems and are a logical thinker? The Math Club may be calling your name. Beginning in 2015, with co-founders Vishwajit Subramanian and Sam Lederman, the Math Team practices weekly from 3-5pm at Dunn Bros Coffee Shop. During the first year of the debut, the 8 members took the AMC (American Mathematics Competitions) test, of which Aadil Manazir, Ike Sears, and Vishwajit Subramaniam placed in the top thirty.

Since the beginning, 3 other members have nearly qualified for AIME (American Invitational Mathematics Examination), and the group stays in top shape by taking practice tests, participating in team problems, and solving individual problems. Last year, the team was accepted to the Princeton University Math Competition and competed. The team took this competition as a starting point for other competitions and tournaments. All members have always had a love for logical thinking and found enthusiasm for solving complicated problems. Coming up next Saturday, the Math Team will be competing at the Harvard-MIT Math Tournament. The Math Team is entirely student run, all practices and tournaments are led by captains Vishwajit Subramanian and Collin Smith. Subramanian says, “Throughout elementary and middle school, we have had math programs for students who enjoy math. This system didn’t exist in high school, so we decided to make our own.”

Math team members are all specialized in a certain type of math. For example, Vishwajit excels in geometry and trigonometry, while Aadil Manazir specializes in number theory and combinatorics (study combinations and permutations). No matter what type of math you enjoy, the math team would be thrilled to have you. See Vishwajit Subramanian or Collin Smith for more information.