Spartify: What’s on your playlist? Payton Krueger

This week’s spotlight is on senior Payton Krueger. Krueger is a varsity football and basketball cheerleader, spending half of her year cheering on the Spartans from the sidelines. She also is the president of Future Business Leaders of America, a member of National Honors Society and captain of the Sparkles. Krueger is constantly listening to her music library.

Kruger does not like to be constrained to a specific genre and frequently decides what she listens to according to her mood. “One minute I’ll be listening to country, and the next it’ll be 4 Seasons by Vivaldi or Metal Health by Quiet Riot,” says Krueger. If she had to choose her favorite genre, it would be EDM, otherwise known as dance. This style of music is upbeat and continuously puts Krueger in a good mood. She names EDM as her favorite genre because she frequently listens to it when dancing and driving around with her friends.

Kygo and Kid Cudi are Krueger’s favorite artists. These artists contrast as Kygo’s music is EDM and Kid Cudi’s music is mostly rap. Both launched their careers as DJ’s, but their distinct styles grew as they became independent artists. “The DJ-ing part of my career is something I really enjoy but first and foremost, I’d definitely look at myself and think ‘musician’,” said Kygo, after becoming an independent artist under Sony. Their music appeals to the modern listener’s emotion, instead of the frequently used theme of wealth and fame. Krueger comments, “I can listen to their songs no matter what mood I am in.”

Krueger’s favorite songs are Come on Eileen by Dexys Midnight Runners and Blackbird by the Beatles. “I like Come on Eileen because it is impossible for me to listen to it without having the biggest smile on my face. It reminds me of good memories I have with my friends. I like Blackbirds by the Beatles because it is a very soft and pretty song. It mainly features Paul McCartney and a guitar so the song feels more heartfelt and personal,” Krueger says. She listens to music when running, driving, getting ready, walking through the halls and doing homework. Krueger does not have a specific playlist that she listens to throughout her day but prefers listening to her entire music library.