You need to watch Mindhunter

You need to watch Mindhunter

Critics and fans across the globe are raving about the new Netflix series “Mindhunter”. With an impressive 96% rating on Rotten Tomatoes, it is a binge worthy show for a mature and intelligent audience.

It is important to understand “Mindhunter” is based on a book by John Douglas, as well as inspired by true events that occurred in the late 1970s. This show displays the dynamic duo, Jonathan Groff as Detective Holden Ford and Holt McCallany as Detective Hill Tench. The two FBI agents are a part of the newly created behavioral science unit traveling around the United States that is studying serial killers. “They had to figure out how to have human conversations with those who are subhuman,” Director David Fincher said to Time Magazine. The purpose of the behavioral science unit was new to the FBI. They wanted to study and document the psychology of the killers to discover a possible motive. “Mindhunter” is unique from other dramas because of the long and intense interrogation scenes with the most evil killers of that time.“We have long scenes that you won’t see on other television shows. We don’t have to cut to commercial,” McCallany said during an interview with Fox 5. This is an advantage of having a Netflix show instead of a broadcasted one. Without commercials causing interruptions, the show can flow better and keep the audience engaged. Director of “Zodiac”, “Gone Girl” and “Seven”, Fincher has an eye for putting great murder mysteries to the big screen. After his first Netflix original series “House of Cards” became a great success, he got the green light to film “Mindhunter”.

Some of the serial killers interviewed in “Mindhunter” include Edmund Kemper, Jerry Brudos and Dennis Raider. The questions asked are changed from “How could these people do these awful things?” to “Why did these people do these awful things?” and that is where Ford and Tench thrive. Human behavior is intriguing and interesting to people because it is hard to understand and is mysterious. “Mindhunter” explains different ways of thinking in a way for many to understand and that is what makes it so addictive.  

Season two of “Mindhunter” is set to be filmed in 2018. The release will be highly anticipated by critics and fans throughout the world.