An ode to the lost shows

Netflix binging is perhaps one of the most addicting Millennial habits. In the 21st century, you hardly know anyone who hasn’t been subject to the common problem known as “binge-watching,” where people sell their souls to Netflix for hours on end to watch their favorite shows. The great thing about Netflix is that it’s very easy to find your favorite show and quickly become obsessed. The bad news comes when those favorite shows’ contracts expire. Many have had to deal with their most prized shows being taken off Netflix with little to no warning or time to grieve. In order to properly acknowledge their passing, here is a short obituary to the fallen shows and movies of 2017.

Clueless was taken off Netflix on February 28. Another classic teenage romantic comedy, this movie hit its peak its opening year, 1995, and received similar hype for years to come. The movie is centered around a spoiled teenager named Cher who is obsessed with shopping, boys and herself. This timeless feel-good movie was a favorite of junior Lily Williams, who comments “I thoroughly enjoyed Clueless.”

Bob’s Burgers was taken off Netflix May 7. This eccentric and unrealistic comedy is about a family running a failing burger shop; however, this is not the focal piece of the show. Bob’s Burgers drew in most of its following from viewers who enjoyed the unpredictable nature of the characters. This show has been a favorite of senior Kaylynne Nowak for quite some time. When she first found out it was being taken off, she was devastated, at least until she found an alternative. “I don’t really care that it was taken off netflix. Hulu has it and they have more seasons available than Netflix ever did. [Would] highly recommend.”

One Tree Hill was taken off Netflix October 1. This show can only be described as a classic teenage drama based around a group of young adults caught in a whirlwind of relationships, basketball and ultimately pure drama. Senior Haley Humphries was an avid watcher of this beloved show. “I liked how the main character had my name so I could live vicariously through her life, which was far more interesting than mine,” Humphries confessed. When she found out One Tree Hill was leaving Netflix, she immediately binge-watched the entire show in a month, stating, “It was totally worth it.”

Titantic was also taken off Netflix October 1. Perhaps one of the most classic movies in America’s cinematic history, a love story based on the “unsinkable ship” in 1912, Titanic broke numerous records—one of these include being one of only three movies to win 11 Academy Awards. Titanic was also one of the highest grossing films during its time, raking in over two million dollars since its debut in 1999.

How I Met your Mother was taken off Netflix November 13. Some might call it a knock-off “Friends” while others call it sitcom genius. HIMYM was about five friends in their late twenties who experienced many of same sticky situations many adults face, only with a comedic twist. Cate Byrne, long-time viewer of the sitcom, exclaims that it’s her all-time favorite show. “How I Met your Mother is just a flat-out-feel-good-funny. I first binged the whole show my freshman year of high school, and the characters really connected with me, and the plot made me happy. So after that, it was my go-to for a light hearted show.”

It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia was taken off Netflix on December 9. This high-energy cult classic was well-known for being one of the most offensive comedies on television. The show followed a group of highly insensitive friends, including Danny Devito, through Philadelphia as they embarked on a wide range of shenanigans, usually involving someone getting hurt physically and/or emotionally.

Recent updates from Netflix have revealed that Chicago and Mean Girls, along with many others, will be taken off during the month of January.