Ninja shatters more records with Ninja Vegas 2018

By TDKR Chicago 101 [CC BY-SA 4.0  (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0)], from Wikimedia Commons
By TDKR Chicago 101 [CC BY-SA 4.0 (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0)], from Wikimedia Commons

Fortnite streamer and content creator Tyler Blevins, also known as Ninja, has already surpassed his previous record on Twitch after his extremely successful event known as Ninja Vegas. This event was held on April 21 at the Luxor Hotel and Casino in the Esports Arena in Las Vegas.

During the event Ninja would participate in nine total games, giving out a total of 50,000 dollars total in cash prizes. Players that participated in this event would receive 2,500 dollars per win and 2,500 dollars for each kill on Ninja. The result of this was an intense evening which drew 680,000 concurrent viewers, shattering Ninja’s previous record on Twitch of 628,000 viewers when he played with Drake.

This event was new for esports. It was part tournament, meet and greet and part charity event all led by Ninja and his friends Courage and DrLupo, who casted the games. Even though they were just exhibition matches it really showed how popular not only Ninja has become, but how large the game of Fortnite has become.

Throughout the event Ninja had won a total of one out of the nine games that he participated in and the money that he won for that win was all sent to a charity of Ninja’s choice. While the event was largely about Ninja and his success it also shed some light on some amazing players that were at the event who weren’t getting much recognition.

The one unfortunate turn for the event was the performance of TSM Myth, the second most popular Fortnite streamer after Ninja. Myth played three games, after which  he died from fall damage and finished outside of the top 40 for the other two games. The competition is definitely there and Myth acknowledges that. “It is amazing to see other people who are passionate about the game,” said Myth.

Even though Myth’s performance wasn’t the greatest his presence at the event clearly helped the event reach the amazing amount of viewers.The event was hovering between 400,000 and 500,000 viewers until he too the stage. Then the stream shot up to over 600,000 viewers, finally reaching its peak viewers at 680,000.

This event really showed off the power that one man can make toward the community and the world. Ninja held an amazing event to showcase not only him, but the other amazing players that he played against. With the support of him and the community, Fornite won’t lose popularity any time soon.