Record breaking release for “Avengers: Infinity War”

“Avengers: Infinity War” has surpassed records in the first week of its release, blowing past the  $700 million mark, coming in at $725.5 million in the global box office. As this weekend approaches, it is expected to surpass the $1 billion mark worldwide.

It is on track to to break this number by Friday, only the tenth day of its release. “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” currently holds the record for the fastest movie to surpass the $1 billion mark, accomplishing this in just 12 days.

Currently, “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” also holds the spot for highest domestic opening of all time, making $248 million during its first weekend in 2015. With estimations of well over $250 million after the first weekend, the “Avengers: Infinity War” took over the record.

The Star Wars twitter account tweeted out a picture of them handing off a lightsaber. “From a Galaxy far, far away…to Earth’s Mightiest Heroes,” the caption read, “CONGRATULATIONS on the biggest opening weekend in history!”

“The anticipation of this movie has been building for 10 years, and it without a doubt deserves all the attention and admiration that it is receiving,” senior Zach James stated. “I am not surprised that the film is breaking multiple records!”

The movie has broken multiple records including: Biggest Domestic Opening of All Time, Biggest Worldwide Opening of All Time, Biggest Superhero Opening of All Time, Biggest Saturday of All Time in North America, Biggest Sunday of All Time in North America and Biggest Opening of All Time in Numerous Markets.

The attention of the movie came at no surprise as the storyline was carefully crafted and created over several years. Bringing together over a dozen superheros did not disappoint Avenger fans.

“It was the best movie I have seen in years,” senior Avery Luepker commented. “It was so cool to see the culmination of the entire Marvel Universe reach the peak that it’s been building to. As a Marvel fan, I was thrilled to see the outcome.”

Prior to the movie’s release, “Avengers: Infinity War” was projected to have one of the biggest openings in history, and it did not disappoint.