State meet success

Avery Luepker, Social Media Manager

The blue oval is the symbol of greatness for track and field athletes. Drake University hosts the Drake Relays and this past weekend the State track and field meet at their famous venue. Three long days utilized to crown more than 100 state champions from all classes both boys and girls.

Pleasant Valley sent over twenty athletes to compete for the crown against the states finest runners, jumpers and throwers. Proudly they come back crowning two champions; Konnor Sommer in the 3200m run and the 4×200 relay of Kira Arthofer, Amaria Kirby, Adrea Arthofer and Harmony Creasy. Along with the two state champions PV also added seven more top eight finishes; Amaria Kirby placed seventh in the 100m dash, Konnor Sommer finished fifth in the 1600m run, the same team of K. Arthofer, Kirby, A. Arthofer and Creasy placed fourth in the 4×100 relay and earned a bronze medal in the Sprint Medley Relay, Sam Hanna threw 174’11” for a third place finish in the discus, Sara Hoskins cleared 5’3” in the high jump to claim third and Harmony Creasy had a monster jump of 17’9 ¼ in the long jump to earn a silver medal.

Senior Kira Arthofer said, “It’s so amazing to be able to share such an amazing feeling with girls who work as hard as you do. It’s something you wish for to happen all season but for it to actually come true is unbelievable. We all wanted this for each other and we did it”

Finally after long months of practice and sometimes not even being able to compete due to weather, this was the perfect weekend to cap off a great season. Co-head coach Kenny Wheeler said, “We had a great weekend filled with tons of PRs, medal-winning performances, school records, a state championship and time spent with quality young people putting their talents to the test. But nothing beats seeing how far this team has come in the past year.”

Congratulations to everyone who participated at the state meet and showing the rest of Iowa what Pleasant Valley is made of.