This is spARTa: Meet Brooklyn Carlson

Brooklyn Carlson is a Senior at Pleasant Valley High School. During her freetime, Carlson spends her time drawing. She also gains inspiration for her drawings from people she admires to continue to improve her drawing.

Q: How old were you when you first got involved in art?

A: I first got inspired into doing art at the age of 4, my brother would draw some of the coolest pictures (in my opinion) and I wanted to be able to draw like him one day.

Q: What is your favorite type of art?

A: I don’t necessarily have a favorite type of art. But I really love some of the modern character drawings, I really like looking at others personalities shine through their art.  I also really admire those that can paint! Props to them for doing something that I find difficult!

Q: What are some of the art classes that you have taken or are taking?

A: I have taken basic art classes through my junior high school years, once I moved to the United States I took a drawing class where my art started to grow from there.  After that I took Computer graphic design along with painting and advanced drawing the year after. I am currently in AP art where I am working on a portfolio where I can enter into colleges.

Q: Do you want to be a professional artist?

A: I would love to be a professional artist with either animating or even designing in any field,except for architecture. I really like to make things look pretty.  

Q: What is you favorite thing about art?

A: I love the creativity and expression I get from art.   also like the freedom in the sense that I can draw anything I feel like drawing or even designing.  

Q: How do you find inspiration for your art?

A: I find inspiration in my art by looking at others ideas and thoughts, along with looking at how they draw to improve my own drawing skills. When I look through my Instagram or pinterest feeds, I find very interesting and strange art pieces that I feel like I would like to try.

Q: Who is an artist you look up to?

A: There are so many artists that I look up to, a lot of them being more modern of course. One person that really got me into trying to improve my human anatomy and face was Toastyhat (AKA Emptyfeet on YouTube). I loved her animation style and her semi-realistic faces. Another artist/ animator I look up to is Vivziepop, she has a very cartoony and flowy style that I have always admired, and her style just keep getting better through the years of her progressing. The newest artist that I really love is Szin, She does a lot of “animated scenes” for songs in musicals mostly, giving them more life and symbolism. She has been really inspiring to me in the sense that I love how her characters look and that she still has a realistic look to her style. And of course I can’t forget about the man that taught me how to draw, James Baxter. Such a sophisticated style that is absolutely amazing to me.   

Q: Are there things in your art that you wish to improve?

A: I wish I could improve on my humans, mainly with faces and the body more. I hope to  develop my own style of drawing that I can continue to improve as I get better.

Q: How often do you use your skills?

A: I try to use my skills as much as possible, whether it be doodling on a piece of homework or trying to create a masterpiece, I try to grab inspiration from those I see around me and strengthen myself by practicing all the time

Q: Does your art have any specific meaning

A: When I do my art I tried to have a little bit of symbolism or something for the person to think of while looking at it. If it is my own original character I add things to their appearance so that others can see what they are like. My art gives me freedom and expression and a way to escape from the world. Once I put my earbuds in and pull out my sketchbook I am able to escape from the stress of real life and just breath for a moment.