Review: ‘Six of Crows’ is a must-read

Miranda Miller
Junior Miranda Miller enjoys Leigh Burdago’s ‘Six of Crows’ while sitting in the library.

Looking for a good book? Look no further than “Six of Crows” by Leigh Bardugo. With 4.46 out of 5 stars on Goodreads, it’s made a name for itself as one of the best recent teen fantasy novels, with some of the most well-developed characters in a fantasy adventure. This book is not for the faint of heart, but its dark tone is refreshingly different from most fantasy novels. This isn’t Leigh Bardugo’s first novel set in this universe, but you don’t need to read her other books to understand and enjoy this one.

Here are six reasons to read “Six of Crows”:

1. The setting feels like a real place. The book begins in the coastal city of Ketterdam, which is full of gangs, criminals, merchants and trade. The cultures and countries in the book are based off of real-life ones, which adds an element of reality to the story. As a trade center, Ketterdam is full of diverse cultures from all over the world that bring different perspectives to the novel’s major events.
  2. As junior Ranai Srivastav said, “It was a well thought out plot with ample suspense. I could never predict what was going to happen right from the first page. It had a lot of twists and turns.” The story follows the mysterious Kaz Brekker as he assembles a crew to pull off an extremely daring theft that will have consequences for their entire world.
  3. The magic makes sense. It is actually integrated into the society and culture, and there are laws and traditions surrounding it, just like any other skill.
  4. The pacing of the novel is fast. Freshman Gillian Oenick said, “I found the book extremely interesting, as it seemed to cover so many bases all at once. There is magic, there is bloodshed, there are gangs, there’s a bit of romance–not my favorite part–and there is an infiltration, a corrupt government, and deadly secrets.” Something is always happening, and sometimes multiple things are happening or going dreadfully wrong at the same time.
  5. Everything is original. There are no stereotypes, cliches, or other literary cheats in this novel. The stoic soldier is also a romantic. The assassin isn’t silently scary, but friendly and driven. Each part of this book is a new take on an old fantasy staple.
  6. The characters are stunning–and there are six of them. But it is impossible to get them confused. Each main character gets a turn in the spotlight, and each is so well-developed they feel like a real person. They are emotionally authentic and are what really bring the novel to life.

If you enjoy magical action, daring thievery, and witty banter, you’re sure to enjoy “Six of Crows.” The book is available in the PVHS library.