Recap: PVHS Drama Awards Night

Alexa Karzin
Freshmen, Harper Clark, hugging Director Bill Myatt after being inducted into the Thespian Honor Society.

As the 2018-2019 school year comes to an end, the PVHS theater department held their annual Drama Awards Night on May 14.

All students who participated in the theater productions and competitions throughout the year were invited to the ceremony. During Drama Awards Night, new thespians were inducted into the society, awards were given out, and next year’s shows were announced.

Students are inducted into the International Thespian Society once they’ve earned 10 points, or once they’ve dedicated around 100 hours worth of participation into live theater. These points can be earned through rehearsals, performances, or off stage technical work.

Each new inductee walked on stage to sign the Pleasant Valley Thespian banner and shook hands with Bill Myatt, PVHS English teacher and Drama Director. Before being seated, thespians new and old repeated the Thespian Pledge.

Freshman Grace Engstrom described her feelings on being a newly inducted thespian of Troupe #856. “I feel like I am finally officially part of this amazing family where no matter what I will always belong,” she said.

Myatt and the Drama Department Officer Board then invited each student onstage individually to announce the achievements and awards they’ve earned throughout the year. Multiple students this year earned Division I ratings and all-state recognition for their performances at Solo/Large Group State Speech and the Iowa Thespian Festival.

Weeks before Drama Awards Night, students voted for the People’s Choice Awards, similar to the Oscars with categories such as Best Actor/Actress or Best Hair/Makeup/Costume design. Multiple students were recognized for their efforts, such as junior Matt Bolin who was awarded Best Supporting Actor, and sophomore Maddie Bauden who won Best Female Technician.

The professional take on student awards took a turn as the student-created awards were given out. Each student who was once awarded one of these then handed it down to an underclassman. Senior Ethan Croll handed down the award of Best Smile/Positive Attitude, symbolized with a bright yellow hacky sack, to junior Grace Almgren.

Perhaps one of the most heartwarming awards handed down was the Most Welcoming Award, symbolized by a metal statue of a pineapple. Senior Jimmy Guest gave this to junior Anna Myatt, who is next year’s drama club president.

“I was very excited to receive this award. I try to make sure that theatre is always a place where people can feel welcomed and loved,” Myatt said. “Receiving this award was one of my favorite moments from Drama Awards.”

As the senior improv team members graduate, auditions were held for new students to take their place, and the new members for each team were announced.

The night came to an end as Bill Myatt announced the shows PVHS will be performing next year, along with the directors for each. Highlights for next year include the Halloween themed musical Carrie, under direction of Bill Myatt, and the children’s show Charlotte’s Web, directed by junior Leah Sanders.

Sanders was excited when asked about her upcoming directing debut. “With a show like this, a lot of fun can be had with the tech involved. Not only are we trying to get the children interested in theatre, but I would also like to challenge some our technicians here at the high school,” she said.

There is much for Pleasant Valley High School’s Drama Department to be proud of this past year, along with much to look forward to in the in the coming school year.