Leaps of change: Midwest dancer takes on New York fashion week for a cause

Hannah+Lederman+and+her+fellow+Nolte+Academy+dancers+sport+their+Humanize+My+Hoodie+%E2%80%9Cally%E2%80%9D+sweatshirts+and+pose+with+a+runway+model+on+Sept.+14+at+New+York+Fashion+Week.+
Hannah Lederman
Hannah Lederman and her fellow Nolte Academy dancers sport their Humanize My Hoodie “ally” sweatshirts and pose with a runway model on Sept. 14 at New York Fashion Week.

For many performers, aspirations of performing on stage during a large-scale event are nothing more than dreams. For one dancer, however, this dream became a reality.  But her dance was for a greater purpose than just herself. 

Senior Hannah Lederman, captain of PV’s Platinum Dance Team, received news in late August that she and eight other girls from her studio, Nolte Academy, were invited to perform in a fashion show for part of New York Fashion Week. The fashion show was called Humanize My Hoodie and took place on Sept 14. 

Humanize My Hoodie is a movement founded by Andre Wright, CEO of the fashion label Born Leaders United, and Jason Sole. As men of color, Wright and Sole have both felt the effects fashion have in promoting unfair prejudices. “We want to start a conversation about threat perception,” said Wright to Iowa Public Radio. “Why does a hooded sweatshirt have a different connotation when it’s a black man wearing it? It’s important to think about how we stereotype each other.” 

Lederman’s performance at the movement’s fashion show focused on the police brutality spurred by the influences of clothing. She and her fellow dancers, called “Humanize My Hoodie allies,” created a three part routine with the purpose of weaving a story throughout the entire show. After weeks of practice, it was time to execute.

With spotlights on and the runway set, the group began their performance. It started with a piece depicting the violence inflicted on African-Americans in today’s society and America’s oblivion to the matter. “The world often chooses to ignore injustices in society against minority groups. Our dance spread awareness to people of all races by demonstrating these cruelties and bringing them out into the open,” Lederman said. 

Next came a routine riddled with emotion, portraying the horror of countless deaths guns and hate have caused. The final section, the climax of the production, manifested Humanize My Hoodie’s hope for a new America, one filled with allies and peace through unification.

The dance left its mark. Many people with compelling stories about their experiences involving police brutality came up to the Nolte group, explaining how powerful the dance was. Lederman attributes the success of the demonstration to the power dance has. 

“Dance creates another layer that public speaking alone does not achieve,” Lederman said. “Dancing is such an amazing way to spark a conversation. Watching and performing this allowed everyone to appreciate the beauty and connect with the story we are showing through our bodies.”  She felt honored to hear how much hope was able to be spread through a simple dance.

Lederman has been dancing since she was a toddler, giving her a deep understanding of the power of dance. “For me, it is dance–it always has been, whether I am dancing to help solve my personal problems, or if I create and perform pieces that show my stances on society’s issues or achievements,” she explained. 

The experience for Lederman was, in one word, “gratifying.” She was able to showcase her hard work, talent and, most importantly, the potential art has to cultivate change.