Travel tips to have a safe spring break

Courtney Mohr
Junior Courtney Mohr smiles while staying safe on vacation in Florida.

Spring break brings many things including a vast amount of travel for much of PVHS. It is important to stay safe while traveling among illnesses and travel advisories in 2020. Here are the top tips to stay safe while traveling this year. 

1. Keep hand sanitizer handy

The world is on edge with the threat of the coronavirus and traveling puts you at a greater risk for illness. It is important to keep things germ free while making your way through airports and other highly crowded areas.

2.  Travel in pairs

The buddy system is an essential part of going to unknown places. Separating away from the group can have dangerous outcomes in a world filled with crime. This ensures everyone you’re traveling with will stay safe and no one will get lost in a busy airport.

3. Wear sunscreen

High school students often skip out on wearing sunscreen so they can get that golden tan. Not wearing sunscreen may sound like a good idea, however it can have many harmful effects in the future such as skin cancer and sun poisoning. Students should always wear sunscreen when being out in the hot sun in order to protect the skin.

4.  Bring disinfecting wipes 

The ever frightening coronavirus is here and can be spread easily, when traveling you should always wipe down airplane, bus, or other public transportation means to keep away germs and be safe. After all it’s better to be safe than sorry. 

5. Stay on your resort 

If traveling to a resort town, you should never go off of the designated resort. In tropical places such as Mexico, being off resort can result in dangerous consequences. The outside of resorts can be breeding grounds for crime and are unprotected areas. In already unfamiliar territory you should always stay in designated locations.

6. Utilize the hotel safe

If your spring break involves a stay in a hotel you should always put valuables like passports and electronics in the safe. Any hotel room can be a target for thieves. Keeping your important belongings in a safe while you are not in your room can be a way to guarantee you’ll leave with all you came with. 

7. Carry a map

Technology is great but there is no guarantee it will always work, especially in other countries. Bringing a map can be a way to not get lost even if your phone service goes down. Paper maps  may seem outdated but you never know when you may need one in a new place.

8. Keep your location to yourself 

You should always be cautious of your sharing location online.  And although it may be fun to show off all your tropical or mountain pictures on social media, you should wait until you’re back to post. Criminals may see you are away from home and use it as an opportunity to help themselves to your belongings at home. So as much as you want to show everyone how good you look in Mexico, wait until you’re home, then post all you want. 

9. Make a plan

While being spontaneous can always be exciting, you should create a plan when traveling somewhere new. This is to avoid any complications or unwanted travel delays. Having a plan is helpful to stay safe, have fun, and stay organized.