“Wakanda Forever”: Chadwick Boseman’s legacy lives on

Georges Biard via Wikimedia Commons
Boseman at the Deauville Film Festival in 2014.

Chadwick Boseman was loved by many communities. He was an actor, writer, director and had a beautiful family. 

Boseman, best known for his role as King T’Challa in Marvel’s “Black Panther,” passed away on Aug. 28 after quietly fighting stage IV colon cancer for four years. Boseman was also known for his pivotal roles as Thurgood Marshall, James Brown and Jackie Robinson. Boseman’s role in “Black Panther” cut out all stereotypes: shining a light on black culture, embracing diversity and inspiring many to celebrate African heritage. 

Following his 2016 diagnosis, Boseman starred in seven movies in between his chemotherapy and surgeries, all while keeping his cancer a secret. “He died in his home, with his wife and family by his side,” according to a statement released on his Twitter account.

Boseman was a superhero on-screen and off. During his private battle, he visited a boy with terminal brain cancer back in 2017 and created The Black Panther Challenge following the success of “Black Panther.” This led to Disney donating a million dollars to The Boys and Girls Club of America, which in turn inspired many others to donate as well. 

The black community was hit the hardest with the news of Boseman’s passing. Senior Basil Saeed was one of many inspired by Boseman’s work: “‘Black Panther’ not only empowered black men and women, but showed that the black community is civilized and aren’t what people picture them to be,” said Saeed.“His role in the film also helped people become prouder of their African heritage and learned to embrace it.”

Boseman and “Black Panther” spread endless amounts of important messages. After Boseman’s passing, English teacher Jessica Scadden shared how they impacted her life in a post on Facebook. “The story teaches us that even the most powerful societies can, and should, share with others in an effort to make everyone better… Marvel lost one of the greats, but the messages he helped spread will live on,” Scadden wrote.

Chadwick Boseman positively impacted the world in more ways than one and his legacy will live on. May he rest in peace. “Wakanda Forever.”

Sources:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1238798

https://twitter.com/chadwickboseman/status/1299530165463199747?s=21