Best travel destinations during summer

Ingrid Hofmann
Need some new ideas to travel this summer? Here are ten places to visit for your vacation.

With the hopes of achieving a safer summer this year, many people are beginning to plan vacations. Escaping reality is something much needed after the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic, and these destinations –all within the United States– will do just that.

Beachy escapes for a relaxing vacation:

Key West, Fla.

Key West offers a tropical destination with opportunities to snorkel, boat, sail, and fish. This oceanside location allows for a relaxing vacation that also has a multitude of activities to enjoy while on your getaway. Key West also provides many cultural experiences for visitors to enjoy.

Hawaii

Hawaii is home to many national parks and natural landmarks for anyone to explore, but it also has many beaches to enjoy water activities such as surfing, boating, and kayaking. Hawaii’s bigger cities also provide many shops and restaurants to visit, providing not only a relaxing vacation but a cultural experience.

Santa Barbara, Calif.

Santa Barbara has many exploration activities such as a bike tour and trolley tour that visitors can take to learn about the city. There are many beaches and harbors to explore while visiting this destination, providing something for anyone to enjoy.

Cities with plenty of things to explore:

New York, N.Y.

New York City houses lots of tourist attractions to visit and explore that are like no other city in the US. With famous buildings and memorials like the Empire State Building and the 9-11 Memorial, the city offers a lot of opportunities to learn about the local history of New York. The blend of culture in New York City also provides many different shops and restaurants to explore and experience.

New Orleans, La.

New Orleans, a city of French and Spanish history, provides a different cultural experience than the rest of the country. The atmosphere in the city allows for nonstop adventure and provides different festivals and celebrations year-round. New Orleans has its own style of food but also has a plethora of cultural experiences, including above-ground cemeteries and the french quarter, to tour.

San Francisco, Calif.

San Francisco is another city with its own famous sites, one example being the Golden Gate Bridge, which are landmarks of the United States. The mix of being oceanside and in the city provides a perfect balance between a relaxing beach vacation and a fast-past city exploration.

Interesting locations that allow you to adventure:

Washington, D.C.

As the capital of the United States, Washington D.C. has a lot of important government buildings, as well as important landmarks and museums that showcase the history of the US. This city provides a variety of locations to explore making your summer vacation educational and memorable.

Grand Canyon National Park, Ariz.

The Grand Canyon National Park in Arizona is an incredible natural landmark that showcases a mile deep canyon into the Earth. Visiting this location on vacation allows you to get out and explore the geological history of Arizona’s land. 

Jackson Hole, Idaho

Jackson Hole, Idaho is a town that is nearby the Yellowstone National Park; at this destination, you can explore the land by car, foot, or even horse. Jackson Hole provides a different feel of the United States than the rest of the destinations on this list because of its location in Idaho.

Destinations to drive to:

Boundary Waters, Minn.

The Boundary Waters in Minnesota is a great place to visit if you want to drive somewhere for a summer vacation. There are many shops nearby to explore and immerse yourself in the local culture. The boundary waters also provide an amazing place to explore and canoe, giving you many things to do on your trip.

Chicago, Ill.

Chicago is another nearby place to visit for a vacation over the summer. Being a major city, Chicago has many stores to go shopping and many restaurants to expand your palette. Chicago is also home to The Bean and many parks, as well as The Navy Pier giving visitors a big amount of places to explore.