Top six Bollywood movies for new fans

Ramya Subramaniam
There are many Bollywood movies to choose from on Netflix.

The world of Bollywood is huge, and it may be overwhelming to decide which movies to start with. Here are six movies to start your journey through the wonderful world of Bollywood.

1- 3 Idiots

This movie is a comedy-drama starring Aamir Khan and Kareena Kapoor Khan. Two friends look for their old college friend while reminiscing their past with him in college. Though they were initially considered idiots, their friend made them think differently. With a strict principal, these three students bent the norms of the school and society to lead life following their passions. This movie is a great watch with family and friends. You can find this movie on Netflix or Amazon Prime.

2- Kuch Kuch Hota Hai

In this classic from 1998, Shah Rukh Khan stars with Kajol and Rani Mukherji. In school, Rahul (Khan) is best friends with Anjali (Kajol), but when Tina (Mukherji) comes to school, Rahul falls in love with her. Anjali is left on the sidelines with a crush on Rahul. This movie occurs in the future, when Tina, now dead, and Rahul’s daughter, who is also named Anjali, reads a letter from Tina describing the love triangle from their school days. Tina leaves it to Anjali to reunite Rahul and his childhood friend Anjali. This is a classic movie with great songs that new Bollywood fans cannot miss. You can find this movie on Netflix.

3- Happy New Year

Starring big actors from multiple generations like Shah Rukh Khan, Deepika Padukone, Sonu Sood, Boman Irani, Abishek Bachchan and Jackie Shroff, this movie is a great watch for the family. This movie contains a diamond heist and dance competition, making it an intense and funny movie for all. While there are some sad parts to the movie, most of it is lighthearted and meant to tie comedy, romance and action all into one. Happy New Year embodies the pride of India and what it means to be an Indian. You can find this movie on Netflix.

4- Dhoom

The popular 3-movie action series, Dhoom, stars actors Abishek Bachchan and Uday Chopra. Each movie in the series adds superstars such as Hrithik Roshan, Aishwarya Rai, Aamir Khan and more to the cast. The movies follow behind police officer Jai Dixit (Bachchan) as he chases different thieves/robbers that come his way. Bollywood fanatics cannot miss this series and the famous “Dhoom Machale” song. You can find these movies on Amazon Prime.

5- Om Shanti Om

Starring Shah Rukh Khan and Deepika Padukone, this movie is filled with fame, romance, murder, reincarnation and revenge. An amateur actor is in love with a famous actress, but she is in love with her greedy producer. This producer later kills her, and the amateur actor dies as well trying to save her. Later, the amateur actor and famous actress are both reborn and look for revenge on the now successful producer. This movie is like a roller coaster with all of its ups and downs. Those who look for a good drama film with romance will enjoy this movie. Though it is long, the grandness of Bollywood is beautifully displayed in this romantic comedy. Along with that, the soundtrack of Om Shanti Om is breathtaking. You can find this movie on Netflix.

6- Aashiqui 2

While many Bollywood movies are happy and exciting, Aashiqui 2 brings a different side of Bollywood, romantic tragedy. Starring Aditya Roy Kapur and Shraddha Kapoor, this movie follows a famous singer with a drinking problem who helps make a small-town singer a huge hit. This movie is a classic tragedy, and the soundtrack adds to the journey through the movie. You can find this movie on the online streaming service Einthusan.