The success in sports at Pleasant Valley continues through the spring

Pleasant+Valley+flags+are+proudly+displaced+in+the+main+gym+showing+the+success+in+all+sports+throughout+the+years.+
Grace Sherman
Pleasant Valley flags are proudly displaced in the main gym showing the success in all sports throughout the years.

Committed to excellence, sports at Pleasant Valley have always been held to a high standard. Multi-sport athletes, strong teams, and determined players are a key to the success shown in PV athletics. 

As the successful winter season comes to a close with incredible records, the spring sports carry high expectations based on the victorious previous seasons. Looking at tennis, girls golf, soccer and track and field, PV is in a good place to end the school year successfully. 

Last year, the girls tennis team won MAC, with their top player going to state for singles. As a team, the girls emerged as regional champions and qualified for quarterfinals at state. 

During the boys tennis season, every competing player won the MAC, with the team placing second at state. Although both tennis teams have lost talented seniors, their impeccable record shows they’re in for another great season.

Although girls golf lost four of their six varsity girls this year, there is high pressure on the other two returners. Starting senior Maura Peters has committed to the University of Iowa to continue her golf career and is looking forward to finishing her PV season off. 

“Heading into my senior season, I am filled with a variety of emotions. Although there is an overwhelming abundance of excitement, I am also feeling a substantial amount of pressure and anxiety. Ever since I committed, I have felt an increased pressure to perform. This pressure is mostly used as motivation, and with it being my last season, I hope to use that pressure to improve and break records,” Peters shared.

Going 19-1, boys soccer won the state title for the second year in a row against Waukee Northwest last year. Losing eight starters from last year will be a challenge but with the record they have, the high expectations are in place. 

On the other hand, girls soccer made it to the state quarterfinals. And this season, they are faced with the loss of six starting seniors. “This year is going to be a big adjustment and we are going to need the upperclassmen to step up and fill these previous seniors spots. It’s going to be different only having two varsity starting seniors returning, but we have so much talent that I’m confident we can have another chance at state this year,” varsity senior Kensie Staats stated. 

Pleasant Valley track and field has always been a consistently triumphant sport for both boys and girls teams. Individuals and relay teams are both always successful and set records throughout the years. The girls finished second at MAC last year and had qualified for 15 of the 19 events for state.The girls’ 4×800 placing second and many other individuals placed well at state as well. Most of these athletes are returning, keeping the force of the team strong. 

For boys track and field, last year was a big year, winning MAC and qualifying for state. Winning the shuttle hurdle at the Drake relays and State, and setting a new school record of 58.96 seconds was a huge milestone for the team. 

One of the members from the shuttle hurdle team, senior Daniel Zietlow, is aware of the standards they have set and is preparing to exceed expectations.“I think this year is going to be a lot more exciting but also more challenging. It’s going to be a lot harder to repeat as champions because three of us are returning which puts more pressure on us but I think our new guy Spencer Roemer will fill these shoes,” he explained. 

PV has high expectations and goals to reach for the spring. With all teams filling in their rosters due to the graduated seniors, these teams are looking strong and something to look forward to watching.