Music festivals making an economic impact

Raph_PH via Wikipedia
The host city, Indio, California has a large economic benefit to the largest musical festival Coachella.

Indio, California is home to Coachella, the largest music festival in the United States and one that continues to grow every year as a result of its popularity. As the host city, Indio’s economy is directly affected. 

The city acquired the title “City of Festivals,” bringing in nearly 250,000 people over the course of two April weekends. Coachella has created a much bigger reputation for the city itself through the money it helps bring in. 

Indio reported that this time of year brings in nearly $250 million, a figure that continues to rise. From hotels and bars to grocery stores and restaurants, the city prepares extensively for the extended hours and extra staff needed to keep up with the population that this festival draws in. Bringing in that amount of money annually can change a smaller town for the better and continue to provide more the following year. 

The lowest general admission cost this year was $540, with prices ranging all the way up to $1,600. With the large magnitude of people attending and needing places to eat, sleep and drink, the additional cost per ticket goes back to the community. 

Coachella, a three day festival filled with performances from top artists and pure joy, has an unparalleled atmosphere that helps to keep the tradition going every year. PV class of 2021 graduate Louie Conn is an enthusiastic musical festival fan. “Music festivals are a special experience where all different kinds of people from all over the world come together and bond over the music, fashion and partying culture that these festivals offer,” he said. 

Coachella gives people all over the world the opportunity to travel, dress up to express themselves and enjoy live music. 

Most people who attend the festival call it the experience of a lifetime and money well spent. Senior Reagan Glaus has always had Coachella on her bucket list. “I hope at least once I can experience Coachella. The outfits are so fun, and spending a weekend in California with a bunch of friends is a dream. The money is something I will have to think about, but I will make it happen one day,” she said. 

The small town of Indio, California experiences an annual economic uplift every Coachella season. Showing a decrease economically during COVID, this festival is a tradition Indio continues to host, and benefits will only continue as the population grows.