Is meritocracy in the entertainment industry dead?

Nepotism in the entertainment industry poses challenges for those entering the industry who were not born with privilege.
Shobini Iyer

Nepotism is deeply embedded into the social fabric of all major industries — from business to politics to academia. It is especially conspicuous, however, in the entertainment industry, where being born to the right parents grants individuals a cloak of privilege amid a notoriously cutthroat field. 

Nepotism is the practice of granting preferential treatment to select individuals in an occupation or field. Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s appointment to cabinet, Trump’s family legacy and the Great British monarchy are all examples of nepotism at work. 

In entertainment, individuals who earn status, influence and power through family members have been coined by Gen Z as “nepo-babies.” These are the celebrity children that score big breaks without having to work nearly as hard for the opportunities that are handed to them on a silver platter. 

Connections that their parents paved for them and the automatic assumption that children of talented individuals are likely to be on-par with their parents aid in the success of “nepo-babies.” Dozens of young actors and actresses, from Timothée Chalamet and Ben Platt to Lily-Rose Depp and Maya Hawke, have been “outed” on social media for their famous backgrounds and labeled as such.

In an industry that is already so competitive, nepotism only adds more fuel to the fire by nullifying equality of opportunity, which lays the foundation for a meritocratic society. A 2019 study conducted by Queen Mary University of London found that only 2% of actors make a living from the profession. With so many actors and so few roles, the industry is forced to make cuts and not so coincidentally, the other 98% is tipped in favor of those with privilege. 

Alarming statistics about the toughness of achieving success in the entertainment industry raises the important question, “Is nepotism an assumed risk for those entering the field?” 

PV senior Charles Budan will be studying acting at New York University with plans to enter show business. “Show business is so competitive already that I think most who go into it have accepted the uncertainty and professional insecurity but nepotism is certainly another source of anxiety,” he said. 

Despite the prevalence of nepotism in the entertainment industry, Budan’s passion about entering the profession is unwavering. “At my college auditions, I met kids my age who had already starred on Broadway or in feature films and it made me feel so far behind. Getting your foot in the door is the most difficult and important step in entertainment and competing against kids who were born into the industry seems impossible,” Budan continued. “You kind of have to understand that a massive portion of your career trajectory is largely out of your control; most importantly you have to know that although connections can make you a successful actor, only passion will make you a great one.” 

Senior Braeden Jackson, who will be studying musical theater at Viterbo University, shares a similar mindset. “The entertainment industry is a huge industry filled with so many people from different backgrounds that nepotism can be hidden in many ways. It’s not something that would ever make me stray away from the industry. The industry is all about connections and some just have better connections than others.” 

Like any other family business, it is natural for people to want to remain involved in an industry that their family has thrived in for generations. In some cases, it is unfair to disregard genuine talent simply because the individual started from a position of privilege. For instance, singer Miley Cyrus and actress Maya Rudolph have made significant contributions to their respective fields, creating a name for themselves outside of the one they were born into. 

Budan can second this notion. “The thing about nepotism kids is that they are an inherent aspect of capitalism not just in film but across every industry. It’s not that nepotism kids aren’t talented or that they don’t work hard; most of them are actually pretty good at what they do but the advantages granted to them by their connections and wealth prevent any real meritocracy,” he added.

There is not an all-encompassing solution for combating nepotism in an industry where the individuals who are in positions of power to enact change are the same individuals who are benefitting from nepotism in the first place. 

Budan added, “If we want to fight nepotism in entertainment, we need to fight it everywhere. By leveling the playing field, we could make chasing your dreams a far more practical career path.”

Above all, nepotism in the entertainment industry is a microcosm for the way the entire world functions: inheritance is a head start, family connections are leveraged and social class is a determinant for success. Where the “we all know it happens” attitude falls short is when it transitions into “we’re not going to do anything about it.” Unless there is a mass cultural shift that eliminates prejudice and bias, nepotism is not expected to go away anytime soon.