Cheerleading positivity goes beyond school rivalries

Veronica Cox
Spartan cheerleaders and student section cheering on the football team.

Every high school athlete knows that at the beginning of a race, game or match, the other team is always their rival. Competitiveness is present in all sports with the athlete’s desire to win, but when it comes to cheerleading, the opponent is looked at in a different light. 

Cheerleading is a rigorous activity consisting of tumbling, stunts, and jumps. Vanguard Volleyball describes cheerleading as “a challenging and demanding sport that requires athleticism, flexibility and coordination. Cheerleaders must learn complex and intricate routines, as well as stunts that involve lifting and throwing another person.”

But the sport is far more than technical. And while cheer has always been concerned with positivity, with its athletes constantly smiling and putting on a show for the crowd, it’s more than cheerfulness, too.

Senior Chloe Chamberlin explained her experience with helpful and kind teammates. “I have done cheerleading since I was 7 years old and I have really seen kindness in practice and at games. The encouragement I receive when I get a new skill or stunt is so helpful and creates such a positive environment for the team,” she expressed.

Pleasant Valley cheerleaders greet the Prairie squad at a Spartan home game.
(Veronica Cox)

Senior Bea Goodman agreed with Chamberlin. “The cheerleading community is very supportive and encouraging. I know that I can always count on my teammates to cheer me on when I’m tumbling or doing a new stunt,” Goodman said.

But it also involves kindness and empathy from the opposing cheer squad. The proper etiquette for cheerleading, like any sport, is to always treat the opposing team or squad with respect. 

Goodman described her experience with cheerleaders from rival schools. “Opposing cheerleaders are always very welcoming when we go to their schools and always greet us when we get there! They always introduce themselves and ask for our names which makes me feel very welcomed at their school,” she explained. 

With the sudden death of a close friend and fellow Pleasant Valley cheerleader, the support system from the cheer community was touching. On Sept. 15, Moline High School’s cheer team reached out and posted on

Moline cheerleaders showing their support to the Pleasant Valley community.
(Moline Cheer)

Instagram to show love and compassion to the PV community. The cheer team wore pink bows and used pink poms to signify their support.

Another school posted on Twitter on Sept. 22, wearing pink bows to display their support towards the cheer squad and PV community. The solidarity felt between schools that was united through the cheer squad is a good reminder, during a time when the team needed it most, that no matter how much competitiveness is in the air, kindness is always the more important thing.