The experience of music: Vinyls are becoming popular among a younger generation

Ragged+Records+in+Rock+Island%2C+IL.+
Alex Blunk
Ragged Records in Rock Island, IL.

Music has always been an important part of culture and will continue to be a way for people to connect with their emotions as well as each other.

People have experienced music in different ways over time, and it is certain that music can have an impact on anyone. Whether you’re listening to the radio in your car, putting some music on while making dinner or meeting with thousands of other fans at a concert, music is constantly interlinked with our lives.

Many say music is the language of the soul, it can add meaning and emotion to your life. People around the world are inspired by music and can experience something new in every song. 

“No matter what day of the week it is, I am always listening to music wherever I go. To me it’s something in life that is essential and makes my life better” said senior Ethan Mentzer.

While many continue to debate over which of the popular streaming platforms is better for music, a niche but growing group continues to collect physical copies from their favorite artists. Although grandparents may have only had the option to listen to vinyls around the record player, music lovers of today continue to explore the vast world of music through records.

Vinyls have been growing more and more popular over the past years and in 2022 vinyl purchases made up 43.4% of all albums sold according to billboard. That equates to 43.46 million vinyls sold in 2022 making it the 17th straight year for sales growth in the United States.

Vinyls can directly support artists and the creation of their music. They are also fun to collect as many artists have their own unique spin on vinyl production. Just with other things in society such as fashion styles, looking back to past generations and trying to recreate those times in our current society. Just as baggy jeans enter back into the lives of fashion lovers, vinyls enter back into the lives of music lovers.

The current culture of music is always evolving. It encompasses not only the present trends but also the music of the past. The variety of music in today’s society is so vast, no matter the preference that a person has, there is always something for them.

“As for me, I like many different kinds of music including post-punk, alternative and hip-hop. I love to find lots of different music from my favorite artists and collect vinyls,” said senior Owen Chiles.

The music industry is ever changing at a rapid pace, people continue to expect more and more from artists who are already pushing the boundaries and norms of their respective genres. New music is hitting people’s ears daily and musicians are getting recognized for their work more and more. It is important to keep the music community moving forward while not forgetting where it originated from.

Avid listeners of music will not only spend hours streaming music but often will also have a large collection of CDs and vinyls from their favorite music. To certain people, vinyl collecting is the same as a gallery of art, it is gathering a collection of their favorite music for their enjoyment. 

“I think I started listening to vinyls in early 2019. After that, I thought it was so cool that I was able to display the kind of music that I listen to. My collection started at 2 and has now grown to over 40,” said senior Rese Bailey.

Although music has dramatically changed over the years, so has the way people listen to it. But, at the end of the day, vinyls are not only a way for people to express themselves and listen to their music but also a staple of the music culture and something that will continue to remain in society.