The most iconic lines of Hollywood

Tyler Nels
A selection of some of the most iconic movies from Hollywood.

Many movies have one line that sticks with you forever. Whether it was the scene, the characters, the inflection of the actor’s voice or the words themselves, these movie quotes stay in our mind and come out of our mouth for the rest of our lives. Enjoy and reminisce with this Top 11 + 1 of Hollywood’s most iconic lines.

1) “You want the truth? You can’t handle the truth.” A Few Good Men

This line was the turning point of A Few Good Men when Tom Hanks’ character broke Jack Nickolas’ on the stand. It symbolizes that power does not trump truth, no matter one’s status. 

2) “Bueller, Bueller, Bueller.” Ferris Bueller’s Day Off

One of the most famous quotes during the 80s, this iconic line continues to span generations as it is often used by teachers when a student fails to say ‘present’ or answer a question. Even parents use this line today when being ignored by their kid.

3) “With Great Power, Comes Great Responsibility.” Spiderman (all versions)

Considered one of the most powerful quotes ever written, Uncle Ben gives this advice to Peter as he sees him struggle with making the right decisions. It essentially means to use your abilities to help others at all times, something we all should be doing today. 

4) “If you build it, he will come.” Field of Dreams

We live in Iowa, and we know this line, but it means so much more than building a baseball field. If you’ve ever visited the Field of Dreams movie site, you’ve learned this. If you put effort into something you believe in, it will come true.

5) “Nobody puts baby in a corner.” Dirty Dancing

This is another big quote from the 80’s. In a movie that would appear inappropriate for some today, Patrick Swayze reminds us that no voice or talent should be sidelined because of how society views it

6) “As If” Clueless

Two words that became common language in the mid-90’s. “As If” instantly became slang when replying to a comment that just made no sense – another way to say “that’s not possible.”

7) “Luke, I am your father.” Empire Strikes Back

A defining moment in the Star Wars series, this iconic line provides a climax to the movie series when Darth Vader instantly goes from villain to father. It truly brings good versus evil into the forefront. Fun fact, this quote is also debated as one of the most misquoted lines as Vader really said, “I am your father” in response to Luke’s claims that Vader killed his dad. 

8) “There’s no place like home.” Wizard of Oz

Just click your heels three times and all the hurt will go away, right? Dorothy teaches us that no matter what life throws at you, the most comfortable, safe place should always be home. 

9) “There’s no crying in baseball.” A League of their Own

Another 90’s classic, this message teaches us to toughen up. Things might seem hard at first, but if one puts a little effort into learning/growing, he/she will find success. 

10) “Run Forrest Run!” Forrest Gump

Sticking with the Tom Hanks era, this line is all about never giving up. Forrest didn’t have it easy, but he never stopped going after his dreams. 

11) “Get to the Chopper!” Predator

A quote to always make us laugh, often people yell this one when trying to escape a conversation or moment in a funny way. It’s even better when recited in a way to simulate Arnold Schwarzenegger’s thick accent. 

12) “60 percent of the time, it works every time.” Anchorman

And for a bonus in this Top 11, Anchorman leaves us with so many comedic quotes, and this quote especially gets your mind thinking. It’s technically a true statement, so use it when you want to get into a debate with a mathematician. 

These top movie quotes could stretch to 25, 50, even 100. Below are some honorable mentions that might be on your list. 

“May the force be with you” Star Wars

“You’re gonna need a bigger boat.” Jaws

“Who are you gonna call?” Ghostbusters

“I am Ironman” Iron Man

“Kachow” Lightning Mcqueen

“To infinity and beyond” Toy Story

“Do or do not. There is no try.” Star Wars

“You’re killing me, smalls.” The Sandlot

“I’m going to make him an offer he can’t refuse.” The Godfather

“The names Bond…James Bond” James Bond