Formula 1’s popularity grows as it races into the American market

Ashwin Parab
Netflix’s ‘Formula 1: Drive to Survive’ series amasses 6.8 million viewers.

On Nov. 19, 2023, all five red lights went out at the inaugural Las Vegas Grand Prix as 20 Formula 1 cars began hurtling down the Las Vegas Strip. 

Glowing flood lights illuminated the track, as F1 Drivers’ Championship frontrunner Max Verstappen turned the first corner after his pole position start. He would go on to win the Las Vegas Grand Prix, finishing out a three-race year for F1 in the United States.

F1 hosted the Miami Grand Prix in early May and the United States Grand Prix in October, both races won by Verstappen. The Miami Grand Prix brought in approximately $350 million of economic activity to Miami-Dade county and the United States Grand Prix brought in nearly $400 million to Austin and other neighboring cities.

With an American racing market looking for something more, F1’s three race strategy has caught the attention of the American public.

Bringing over $1.3 billion to Las Vegas, the Las Vegas Grand Prix surpassed the expected revenue for Super Bowl 2024. This potentially cemented itself as the one of the largest sporting events by revenue in the United States this year. The average F1 fan spent more than $3,000 during their trip in Las Vegas, establishing F1’s goal to cater to an upper-class audience.

Popular F1 teams are usually car manufacturers like Mercedes, McLaren and Ferrari, and each year they develop their own cars for the new season. For many, including sophomore Leo Rosas, the research and development aspect of making Formula 1 cars is appealing. “F1 is a sport that displays the hard work of many engineers working on a new car every year. It lets people unite to argue about the sport and at the same time brings laughter to everyone, even in the most ‘boring’ races,” he explained.

Netflix’s “Formula 1: Drive to Survive” documentary series has also been a major hit. Showing an inside glimpse into drivers’ lives and race weekends, the five-season Netflix series provides fans with an easier way to watch F1.

But F1 hasn’t always been an American success.

Historically, F1 has been predominantly popular in European countries, hosting races in the UK, Monaco, Italy and the Netherlands. The United States’ main racing attraction has been NASCAR, but in recent years, NASCAR has lost significant viewership and revenue. In 2010, NASCAR brought in $645 million and in 2018, they brought in just shy of $119 million.

Additionally, F1 race tracks follow a curved nature and every track is different, which means every race teams have to heavily strategize when it comes to pit stops, tire material and playing the field. On the other hand, NASCAR still follows its traditional circular tracks with high speed racing. With the introduction of F1 Grand Prix that brings more entertainment appeal in the US, NASCAR may begin to decline faster than it already is.

Senior Abby Moroney, an avid F1 fan, believes in the future of F1 in the United States. “I enjoy watching F1 because there’s only 20 drivers so it’s easier to root for your favorite driver or team and follow along. I think the type of cars and different circuits make it so appealing compared to Indi races,” she shared.

Although F1 has had immediate success in the American market, is it sustainable? 

When looking at the top sports leagues in the US like the NFL, NBA and MLB, it’s clear why they succeed: American talent. All top leagues in the United States draft from collegiate level programs that recruit high school athletes. 

Professional leagues also play into consumerism with the idea that every youth player could go pro, which in turn creates lifelong fans. With a constant flow of new talent, each sport stays competitive and cutthroat.

The Las Vegas Grand Prix only included one American driver, Logan Sargent, who finished 16th. With no hometown talent to cheer for, the American public may become less interested in F1 as time goes on.

Rosas, who leads the F1 club at PVHS where students collaboratively speak about F1 races, drivers and teams, believes in a promising future for F1. “As it spreads all around the world, F1 will reach new audiences and bringing more opportunities for people to enjoy the sport, the way we do today,” he said.

Although the distant future is uncertain, we can expect F1 to be back in the United States next season, catering to an audience of millions.

$580
$1000