Senior nights invoke high emotions for student athletes

Alex Blunk
The Quad City Blues hockey team celebrate a big win after senior Alex Blunk scores the game winning goal in overtime against Mason City (12/09/23).

As students enter their final year of high school, they begin to realize their journey in school athletics is coming to an end. For students who will not continue competing in their sport in college, this will be their final season.

Students often start their sport at a young age and have continued to stay dedicated, giving up weekends, afternoons, time with family or friends and much more. This hard work and passion throughout their life has brought them all the way to senior year.

Many athletes have a drive to achieve greatness in their sport and overcome the challenges they face. Over the years they develop their skills and become more competitive. “I have played soccer since I can remember, I love the sport and have spent so much time at practices, tournaments and games to get where I am today,” said senior Brett Adams.

Kids often grow up with their teammates and form friendships that last throughout their childhood.The same kids will often compete on the same teams throughout school. This creates strong bonds among peers which leads to team comradery that is hard to break.

As seniors leave their teams, they can feel as though they are leaving a part of them behind. But the friends and memories they made along the way will stick with them forever. “I have swam for a long time both with club teams and for the school, I have met some of my very favorite people and can only remember the happy memories I have gained from swimming,” said senior Lauren Kathan.

The underclassmen look up to seniors as leaders and role models on the team. They are responsible to set a good example for the rest of their team. Captains are appointed to teams through hard work, skill and take pride in their team and each and every person on it.

It can be devastating for teams and players to lose a person they treasure so much and someone they have relied on for many years. During senior nights, many of these emotions can be seen on full display as the realization hits that they are moving on from the team and often the sport.

“Through my years of highschool hockey I have been a part of multiple senior nights and each one is filled with overwhelming emotion. As I approach my own senior night and the end of my final season, I feel that sadness of leaving behind my team and my sport,” said senior Liam Quinn.

Leaving behind a sport can be a bittersweet experience. Seniors often remember and hold on to all the good times they had and thank their sport for everything it has given them.

$580
$1000