Best weight training excercises per muscle group

Johnny Ziegelbein
Back squat is a great exercise for building strength and size on the legs in addition to strengthening the core.

There are countless methods and techniques one can use while weight training. Here are the top weight training exercises by muscle group – several of the following exercises can be done with a barbell, dumbbells or cable machine. If you are new to lifting, these exercises are a great way to begin.

Chest

1. Bench Press 

Bench press is the most common and popular exercise that targets the chest. It is great for building strength and size.

1. Incline Bench Press 

Incline bench press is a great exercise for developing your upper chest. It is a good movement for increasing fullness and size in your chest.

Back

1. Rows 

Rows help to build thickness in the back. Whether it’s a barbell, dumbbell, cable, or machine row, this exercise is a great way to build strength and size.

1. Lat pulldown 

Lat pulldowns are a great way to develop the width of your back. Growing your lats will make your upper back wider, making your waist appear to be smaller.

Shoulders

1. Overhead Press 

Overhead press is the best way to build strength and size in your shoulders. The exercise is also a great way to increase your bench press as well.

1. Lateral Raises

Lateral raises are one of the most effective methods of developing your shoulder size. The exercise will make your shoulders appear to be wider, making your waist look smaller.

Biceps

1. Bicep Curl

The classic bicep curl is very effective at increasing the strength and size of your biceps. Growing your biceps can also help to increase your vascularity.

1. Preacher Curl

The preacher curl is a variation of the bicep curl that isolates the bicep, helping to build strength, size, and definition.

Triceps

1. Skull Crushers

Skull Crushers are one of the best ways to build tricep strength. Working the medial tricep head, the exercise is also great for building mass.

1. Tricep Pulldown/Pushdown

The tricep pulldown or pushdown hits all three heads of the tricep and is great for building strength and size.

Quads

1. Heel-Elevated Back Squat

Heel-elevated back squats are a squat variation that targets the quads when you elevate your heels. The exercise also helps to improve squat depth.

1. Leg Extension

Leg extensions work best as an accessory exercise for your quads. The exercise isolates the quads without involving other muscles.

Glutes

1. Hip Thrust

Hip thrusts are the traditional method for building glute size and strength. The exercise activates other leg muscles but primarily targets the glutes.

1. Traditional Back Squat

Traditional back squat targets more than just the glutes, hitting the quads and hamstrings. However, when using a wide stance with your toes pointed outwards, this exercise is great for increasing glute size and strength.

Hamstrings

1. Romanian Deadlift

Romanian deadlift can also be considered an exercise for the glutes in addition to a hamstring exercise, as it strongly targets both the hamstrings and glutes. This exercise is great for strengthening the lower body, and it can additionally strengthen the core. 

1. Hamstring Curl

The hamstring curl effectively isolates the hamstrings, helping to build strength. This exercise is most effective when used as an accessory, but is very beneficial for building strength in the hamstrings.

Calves

1. Standing/Seated Calf Raise

The standing and seated calf raises are the most basic and easy way to train your calves in a weight room. The standing and seated variations target different parts of the calf, both helping to increase strength and size.