Top 5 New Year’s Foods

Popular New Year’s foods. Photo credit to: Canva

As the world welcomes the new year of 2024 many people are eating special foods to bring good luck to the upcoming year. Some of these foods have been common culture around the world for years, other foods are specific to certain regions. This article will cover five of the most popular new years foods:

1. Black-eyed peas

One of the most popular New Year’s foods is black-eyed peas. These vegetables are said to bring good luck and prosperity to the coming year. Many families have a tradition of eating these peas at the beginning of the new year. This tradition originated in the American South in states like Texas and Louisiana.

2. Grapes

Eating twelve grapes to start the new year was originally a Spanish tradition, but it has spread to more of the world. Each grape is said to represent good luck for each month of the year. Unlike the rest of the foods on this list, the grapes are traditionally eaten at midnight on New Year’s instead of the following days. In fact, most people eat one of the grapes with each of the twelve clock bell strikes at midnight.

3. Cabbage

The eating of cabbage at the beginning of a new year is an eastern European tradition that has spread throughout the world. Cabbage is thought to bring good financial luck to the next year. Some people even cook a dime inside their New Year’s cabbage. Whoever scoops the dime onto their plate with cabbage will have the most luck.

4. Tamales

Originating from Mexico, the tradition of eating tamales in a new year is similar to the rest of the foods on this list because they bring good luck and prosperity to the rest of the year. The golden corn in the tamale mixture represents wealth, and the tamale as a whole represents prosperity to families.

5. Cornbread

Another one of the South’s most famous traditions is eating cornbread at the start of a new year. Just like cabbage and the corn in tamales, cornbread brings financial prosperity to families for the following year. The golden color represents gold and wealth.