Adding your own sparkle

Do it yourself projects are becoming more popular among the younger generations, and television shows like Fixer Upper give viewers the inspiration they need to do home renovation and decorating projects themselves.

According to today.com, “Fixer Upper has a new series called Behind the Design.” This show gives an inside look at what goes on with the renovations of each house, along with the decorating. Behind the Design shows viewers all of the tough decisions that occur during the renovation.

A local family from the Quad City family is getting their hands dirty and starting a business themselves. According to Quadcitytimes.com, “The couple, C.J. and Jessica Ormsby, own their own construction company called, Shabby and Chic.”

Many people refer to this local couple as Chip and Joanna Gaines because of the similarities between both couples. The couple is placing their stamp on old, run-down houses and making them shine.

A class at Pleasant Valley, interior design, allows students to be creative and make more of their own designs. Marta Brooks, PV family and consumer sciences teacher, said, “I encourage students to do projects themselves because it expresses their creativity. When someone makes something, they put their own stamp on it and can call it their own.”

Grace Mershman, a member of the Fixer Upper crew, said, “Everything in my home I have made. I like putting my own stamp on these projects and displaying them in my house.”

Do it yourself projects allow people to express themselves and be creative with art. Mershman explained, “It is easier to start off with simple projects than just to jump in with something complicated.” Mershman started off with looking at ideas from magazines and tried to imitate their projects. She then adds her own touch to the project as she continues.