This is spARTa! Q&A with Sam McGrath

This week we are spotlighting a freshman, Sam McGrath. Sam is heavily involved with band and is performing in the All State Band this upcoming weekend. Pleasant Valley is very proud of his accomplishments and his talent!

What instrument do you play?

I play two instruments: Bass clarinet and clarinet. I play bass clarinet for concert band most of the year and I play clarinet for marching band which we do in the fall. I will be playing clarinet for pep band as well

How often do you practice?

I practice three times a week and I try to make them as productive as possible. It’s not as much about the quantity of practice as it is about what you do in that certain practice session

Who is your teacher?

Rob Hadesbeck. He teaches a lot of the clarinets and bass clarinets in the area.

What do you like about playing bass clarinet?

The tone of it is very unique and warm as well as I like how low it can go. It gives me the opportunity to be expressive with what I play as well as keep tempo based on which piece I’m playing.

Do you have any inspiration?

My teacher, Rob Hadesbeck, is a huge inspiration for me. He is extremely talented and just an all around nice guy.

How did you prepare for All State?

I worked on my solo first to get that as ready as possible. Then, when the school year started, I moved on to more scale-focused practice. Following that, I then learned the etudes, as they were probably the hardest part of the audition.

What was your reaction?

Right away, I was surprised as I thought that my audition didn’t go as well as it could have. I immediately called my parents to tell them the good news.

Does your family do music?

No one else does anything music related in my family!

What else do you do outside of school?

I ran cross country this fall and loved it!

What other things do you want to participate in?

I really would like to become a drum major for next year as that position would be extremely fun and I think I could contribute a lot! Also I would like to participate in various other honor bands this year such as the UNI festival of bands or Iowa Honor Band.

Plans for the future?

I definitely want to keep music as a hobby throughout the rest of my life, but I definitely do not want to pursue it as a career. It’s just too competitive.

While he may be young, McGrath still remains extremely talented and Spartans are excited to see what his musical future holds!