Spartify: What’s on your playlist? Cassidy Kilcoin

This week’s spotlight is on Cassidy Kilcoin, who is involved in athletics, clubs and the arts. Kilcoin has been playing on the JV girls tennis team for her four years of high school. She is currently a singer in the Chamber Choir and has participated in the drama program through her work with musicals and hair-styling. Kilcoin is also a member of Spartan Assembly and Girls Learn International. With all the activities she participates in, Kilcoin listens to her music whenever she has free time in her schedule.

She listens to every genre except screamo, country, rap and dubstep, but a few of her favorites are alternative, singer-songwriter, folk-pop and rock. “I listen to the tune of songs over the lyrics, so I think those four genres really appeal to me because the instruments are intriguing,” said Kilcoin. “If a song ever has trumpets or an orchestra in it, I’m immediately sucked in.” She also enjoys listening to musical theatre and instrumental music. This range of genres gives her a wide variety of artists that she enjoys listening to.

Kilcoin’s favorite artists include: Sam Smith, the Lumineers, Etta James and Elton John. Each artist has an individual style that makes them unique and popular. “My mother always told me, even if a song has been done a thousand times, you can still bring something of your own to it. I’d like to think I did that,” quoted Etta James. Kilcoin finds innovation in the music that’s specific to each artist. “I know when I hear a new song of theirs, I can predict what it will sound like, and almost immediately love the song.”

To Build a Home by Cinematic Orchestra is Kilcoin’s favorite song, “It makes me cry with the orchestra backing up the lyrics, and the singer is extremely talented.” She has three playlists that she listens to constantly, all made by Spotify, named Feel Good Alternative, If I Stay Soundtrack and Old Bops. Kilcoin listens to her music in class, in the car, doing homework, and practically any time she can have headphones in.